Some Perspective on the "Havoline Backlash"

Status
Not open for further replies.
TNS, you could be right about the Wolf's Head quote, all I remember is that it was from the Blues Bro's movie.

Ha Ha, I think you also hit the nail on the head - Buster started all this!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

You are correct T and S, blame Buster for the Havoline "backlash".

And, for what it's worth.....my wife asked me last week why I no longer use the oil "all the top mechanics use" and why I no longer use those pretty orange filters.

Then she asked "how do you really know that LC and FP stuff really works"?

I said "not now dear", "I'm off to the computer to instigate some spirited debate with my respected buddies out in the back pasture". Baaaaah.

No offense intended to anyone with the sheep analogy, as I am part of the herd.......my attempt to say Thanksgiving to all that we have the opportunity to debate such matters.

What 97tbird said!
bowdown.gif

I agree 1000%.

Also,

quote:

I'll continue to use Havoline, Motorcraft and any other oil that offers good performance at a good price.

Same here!
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

All right, Havoline is a good oil! I have about six cases stocked up! Most of it was purchased at 89 cents per quart. Two cases were purchased locally on sale for $1.29 per quart. This was a steal since Wal-Mart jumped to $1.79 per quart.

Now lets all just shut up about it before everybody starts using Havoline. Then the demand will be up and I will never find it for 99 cents a quart again!!!!

Have-oh-leen, Have-oh-leen
Sweetest oil I've ever seen
It will keep your engine clean
Have-oh-leen, my Have-oh-leen

Havoline was good oil even before the Chevron merger, now it just seems to be better--at least according to the numbers. I use it in my car 300,000 miles, my daughter's 90 Buick 3.3 250,000 miles, my mother's 2001 Buick 45,000 miles, my girlfriends 98 Jimmy 165,000 miles, my generators and lawn mowers. My Duramax gets only Delo 15W40. For our applications it's the only oil we need. Like us, it's a blue-collar lunch-pail worker, steady and dependable.
And for the record, I use the orange filer with no problems. Guess that destroys all my credibility.

quote:

All right, Havoline is a good oil! I have about six cases stocked up! Most of it was purchased at 89 cents per quart. Two cases were purchased locally on sale for $1.29 per quart. This was a steal since Wal-Mart jumped to $1.79 per quart.

Now lets all just shut up about it before everybody starts using Havoline. Then the demand will be up and I will never find it for 99 cents a quart again!!!!

Yeah, cause then they'll have to create a new section named "Havoline", and we'll all be driving around checking auto parts stores for it like a bunch of obsessed nuts!

I've been using it for quite a long time, I recently used a few old quarts of 10w-40 that was either SF or SH, I'm not quite sure, but I kept it a short interval. I think the main reason why it's "shot up" in popularity is from the VOA's and UOA's of the recent SM grade because of the amount of moly and that it seems to be great in respects to engine noise and other factors. It's 5w-30 is in the snowblower, 10w-30 in the generator, 5w-20 in a Mazda that I change the oil on, and a straight 30 in the mower. It used to be in my Grand Am but I am considering going back.

Like others here, I don't see the backlash.

In this forum, a lot of brands have their day in the sun ... then the group moves on and talks about something else.

I prefer Chevron Supreme ... an even sleepier quality oil.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Like every oil here. It doesn't work for everyone and more people are trying it due to good posts. One guy that bashed it mentioned in an earlier post that he mixed it with M1 but didn't mention the M1 in the bash thread. I'm not saying M1 is a problem but don't dump on an oil when you've altered it.

I bought it. Despite being imported from Ireland it was much cheaper than supposed to be "national" brand here. The thing is, it is not advertised at all, one day I just saw it one of the bottom-shelfs, and said to myself what it is doing here.

This huge group devices the group therapy to form hypocondiracs to feed the curiosity flame. Any of us remembering the Sheaffer? So Havoline, oil of the year '06 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back