Some muscle car era Toploader fun

This is a Ford designed transmission manufactured by Tremec in the late 70s.

This is the weak overdrive one which is only good for 300HP or so, where the real 3/4 speed ones were good for 500 supposedly.

Anyway took this one apart to replace 2nd speed gear and the associated 1-2 syncronizer slider.

This has had Amsoil GL4 in it and looks good. The gear issue is from worn dog teeth long ago.
20220412_194908.jpg
20220412_194915.jpg

Yes. I rebuilt the origional 332 and put a 3.5" crank in it to make it a 352. Replaced 3 rods with NOS ones from ebay. Spun rod bearings when origional 1959 oil pump shaft broke. It was due for a rebuild anyway.

Replaced exhaust valves and has hardened seats put in for unleaded gas. Looked to have never been touched.
20210725_202341.jpg

Them old FE engines are tough. My Dad had a 62 Galaxie with a 390. Black with red interior. He wore out rear tires pretty frequently. Good looking engine there!!

Them old FE engines are tough. My Dad had a 62 Galaxie with a 390. Black with red interior. He wore out rear tires pretty frequently. Good looking engine there!!
Thank you.

It has some miles on it in this pic.
I just rebuilt the carb and put some wires on it to see what it sounded like. Well it had to be rebuilt. 118,000 miles on it.
20190117_174431.jpg

This is with about 2,000 miles on the rebuild. Blasted and painted the manifolds with StoveBrite, and has held up extremely well.
20211211_175525.jpg

Nice. Is it hard to drive without power steering? Autolite carbs are so simple and IMO have the most successful rebuilds. You still running a conventional points distributor? You’ve done really neat work. Pics of the car?

I put a Pertronix Ignitor III in the distributor. I can't stand points honestly. Also moved the coil the the fender away from heat and vibration. Was originally right next to the distributor on the LH head.

Power steering would be nice..Its not unbearableas the recirculating ball box is almost 5 turns lock to lock, but painfully slow ratio. ..I've contemplated using an electric steering unit from a Prius, a popular conversion actually. Cheap and works so I'm told. Can hide it all under the dash and just takes 12 volts to work.

This is an older pic of the car, it had different center caps on it and duals coming out behind the rear wheels now. I've got it on stands right now with the trans out etc.
20201005_120716.jpg

Back