Some Californians going to Tijuana, Mexico for cheaper gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
$3.68 at most stations here, at least in the more populated areas. In our little city, it's always $0.25 higher, just because....
We have Houston of course, down in south Texas, a few hours away from me. Refineries everywhere.

Edit:
Sorry Hall, I'd meant to reply to Owen.

about 9,60$ US dollar for a gallon in Finland
And Americans are crying like babies have to pay over $4/gallon (those of us outside California*). Just curious, do the elected officials in Finland set the price of gas 'cause apparently they do here. 😂

* When sensationalism is needed, the media likes to refer to California gas prices.

And Americans are crying like babies have to pay over $4/gallon (those of us outside California*).

You're okay with the price jumping up? We're here and they're there and things are what they are. Not our fault gas prices are what they are and it doesn't make me feel any better that they pay $9.60/gallon and no guilt either. The price of 95 octane in Saudi Arabia is currently around $2.35/gallon if we need another point of reference.

@Bjornviken, how much was your gas 2 months ago?

You're okay with the price jumping up?
No and the management/executives at the fuel companies are to blame. No one else.

@Bjornviken, how much was your gas 2 months ago?
All of my cousins, aunts/uncles, etc live in the UK. They always pay $8+ a gallon for fuel. They've paid that for many, many years. I suspect Finland isn't much different.

No and the management/executives at the fuel companies are to blame. No one else.
I think there's some blame at the local level too. When a price increase of oil is announced the price of gas goes up the next day. Not sure if it's the station or the distributor but that more expensive oil didn't get to the gas station in 24/48 hours.

When fuel availability and price issues first came up in my lifetime, I had the idea to convert the trunk of my Dad's '66 Oldsmobile 98 into a large gas tank. I could load it in NJ and drive it to upstate NY. Pretty smart, eh?
Can you spell, "KA-BAM"? ....and this was decades before cell phoners and texters established the practice of rear-ending people at red lights.

Seriously, I wonder if any "fiery car crash" data is generated during these blips.

Remember during the Colonial Pipeline shutdown there were alleged images of people hoarding gasoline by loading it into plastic bags like they were taking aquarium fish home.

Remember during the Colonial Pipeline shutdown there were alleged images of people hoarding gasoline by loading it into plastic bags like they were taking aquarium fish home.
That is one hell of an exotic aquarium fish if you have to take it home in a plastic bag of gasoline. 😲

I think there's some blame at the local level too. When a price increase of oil is announced the price of gas goes up the next day. Not sure if it's the station or the distributor but that more expensive oil didn't get to the gas station in 24/48 hours.

Nobody is prevented from selling something at the prevailing price and making a bigger profit if the price goes up or taking a loss if the price goes down. Proprietary commodities traders deal with buying and selling fuel futures all the time. They're not obligated to sell at a price that makes them a small profit, but they can make big profits at the risk that they'll need to accept losses.

Nobody is prevented from selling something at the prevailing price and making a bigger profit if the price goes up or taking a loss if the price goes down. Proprietary commodities traders deal with buying and selling fuel futures all the time. They're not obligated to sell at a price that makes them a small profit, but they can make big profits at the risk that they'll need to accept losses.
Agreed. This is basic Capitalism; there will always be winners and losers. There is no "fair" or "right". It just depends on which side of the transaction you are on.
The market sets the price. Buyers and sellers... Consumers keep buying regardless of price, at least so far. Economics calls this price elasticity.
Oil companies are laughing all the way to the bank. The only way to force lower prices is to find an alternative and stop paying the price.

Agreed. This is basic Capitalism; there will always be winners and losers. There is no "fair" or "right". It just depends on which side of the transaction you are on.
The market sets the price. Buyers and sellers... Consumers keep buying regardless of price, at least so far. Economics calls this price elasticity.
Oil companies are laughing all the way to the bank. The only way to force lower prices is to find an alternative and stop paying the price.

Which some people don't get. I remember way back when (about 2012) I was working a short term job that got me near this one road with a bottleneck at Granite Bay in Placer County. They were looking to widen the road and secured almost all the land they needed fairly early, but had a few holdouts who knew they would eventually have to sell, but were waiting for a bigger offer even though eminent domain was possible. I think it was finally down to two landowners. This was zoned pretty much rural with horse ranches and none of this land was really developed. At most they would have needed to install new fencing.

I can't find too many news articles on this, but I remember the Sacramento Bee did several articles, although they're not in their archives for some reason. One of the owners who held out said through legal representatives that they just wanted what it was worth at the peak - which is what they refused back around 2007 before the real estate market cratered. Stuff like claims that the land was a family's nest egg and they needed it. But of course that's not considered in eminent domain proceedings. I remember one family insisted that they would only sell voluntarily if their higher price was met (at 2007 values) along with assurances that they would block off road noise with a berm.

Adopted a Resolution of intention to hold a Public Hearing during the Board meeting on March 27 for the purpose of adopting a Resolution of Necessity to acquire real property by Eminent Domain for the construction of the Auburn-Folsom Road Widening Project. This would affect 5 parcels of two owners.​
At the Public Hearing on March 27, the Supervisors adopted the Resolution of Necessity by a unanimous vote in order to proceed with the completion of the Auburn-Folsom widening project. Originally, County had intended to start the widening project at the north end, but when unable to settle with the property owners, opted to begin at the Sacramento County line and work north. The property involved is a thin slice of land fronting 5 parcels on the east side of Auburn-Folsom Road from Fuller Drive to just south of Eureka Road. County has negotiated with the owners since 2005 and appears to have reached an agreement with the owners of the northern piece, but not the family owning a .34 acre slice of the southern portion. The Supervisors noted that the project needed to be completed and took the action as a last resort. The Board’s action does not preclude the parties from continuing negotiations.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back