Some Amazing Outdoor Lighting Is Available Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460

[Linked Image]

Love your doggie, you can tell just by looking at his expression how good natured and friendly he is.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

I also noticed my LED yard-lights DO NOT attract as many flying insects / which means less spiders.

I've heard people say this, but haven't noticed any less bugs and spiders around LEDs vs all the other styles I've had over the years (Merc vapor, metal hallide, CFL, etc..). The one on our garage I like to run dusk/dawn, but the spider web build up gets so bad under the soffet and on the garage exterior, I can't leave it on all night in the warmer months.

I've got two twin lamp LED motion fixtures on my home. One has been in use for a few years, the other a few months. The newer one looks just like the OP's, just with two lights instead of 3. They do cast an incredible amount of light for the wattage consumed

All the ancient roadway lighting in my town was changed over to LED fixtures this summer as well. No more mercury vapor or high pressure sodium.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

I also noticed my LED yard-lights DO NOT attract as many flying insects / which means less spiders.

I've heard people say this, but haven't noticed any less bugs and spiders around LEDs vs all the other styles I've had over the years (Merc vapor, metal hallide, CFL, etc..). The one on our garage I like to run dusk/dawn, but the spider web build up gets so bad under the soffet and on the garage exterior, I can't leave it on all night in the warmer months.

JTK, I live in Western N.Y. and share the same type insects as you.
So why do you have an insect problem with LED's, and I don't ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My LED's are located North and South of house / so sun or shade are not affecting outcome.
I have always used an Insectacide around the foundation during Summer / keeps ants and spiders away.
I have not really seen many flying insects around the LED's / I'm sure there are some, but not many.

I think using an Insectacide is what is helping me mostly.
But again, the LED's do not attract flying insects like they use to.

Originally Posted by billt460
My wife is thrilled because now she doesn't have to follow him around at night with a flashlight, worried he's going to be dinner for a Coyote. (Coyote's hate bright lights, and will avoid them like the plague).

Depends on how hungry and desparst those Coyotes are. Bright light isn't necessarily a force field.

Once upon a time there was a crazy poster who thought leaving his lights on all night in a tight neighborhood was his given right annoying his neighbors......I thought another post like that was coming.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Once upon a time there was a crazy poster who thought leaving his lights on all night in a tight neighborhood was his given right annoying his neighbors......I thought another post like that was coming.

Around here it's not an uncommon practice. There are no streetlights. And on moonless nights it gets DARK. Most everyone has their front porch lights, as well as their garage carriage lights on a dusk until dawn photocell. With these economical, low wattage LED bulbs, there is no reason not to.

Several do the same in the backyards as well. There are a lot of snowbirds that own homes here, and they are vacant several months out of the year. So by keeping outside lights on, it helps keep an "occupied" look to the place. We don't have much of a crime problem here. It's just something a lot of people are in the habit of doing. Darkness is always preferred by thieves. 2 legged, as well as 4 legged one's.

We keep our front lights on from dusk until dawn. But only the back yard lights when the dog goes out, or we are sitting outside doing whatever.

I live 100 miles south of Chicago. Out in the boonies it's only the imported ex-city folks that need the night lights. Helps to keep the urban riff raff away. They always leave before dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back