So what batteries do you BITOG folks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the OEM Acura battery I have in my car right now, it starts up no problem even when I was up in Superior Wisconsin in well below zero weather.

I think Johnson Controls makes the batteries sold at the Honda/Acura dealership (I'm assuming you don't have a 13-year-old factory battery in your car, and that what you call the OEM battery is one that was purchased at a dealership).

The OEM battery for Saab is Exide (and isn't the same as the Exide batteries sold in the USA), but the one you get at the dealership is made by Johnson Controls (and gets delivered by the Interstate battery truck...)

In general, when dealing with import cars, the battery they put in at the factory is NOT the same as the battery they sell at the dealership. The dealerships source the batteries domestically. It just usually is not cost effective to ship car batteries from Japan unless they happen to be installed in a vehicle...

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Where do you guys get the Johnson Control batteries? I only see Exide in my area.
Interstate dealer, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone are all Johnson Controls. The biggest POSs are Deka, Motorcraft, Delco Freedoms, & any maintenance-free (maintenance-resistant?) battery-GOT TO be able to add distilled water!!

Deka's are great and are made by Johnson Controls. I use Deka Marine Masters in both of my boats. The 22' has 2 and the 30' has 4. Only batteries that I trust when I am 40-85 miles offshore.

Wal-mart batteries are not always made by Johnson Controls - it is regional as far as I know. Here in NE PA all of the Wal-mart batteries are made by Exide - it says that right on the label.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I SECOND THAT! Motorcraft are the WORST. I am surprised my Champion battery has lasted so long, it has been abused very very badly.

You are insane.

I have 4 Motorcraft Tested Tough Max batteries in different vehicles and they have all been flawless. My original Motorcraft battery in my 01 SuperCrew lasted 7 years and 125,000 miles.

Motorcraft batteries are great, and they have 100 month pro-rated warranty.

Best OEM battery I've ever had hands down is Motorcraft. I've never got less than ten years out of factory Motorcrafts. The replacements you get from the dealer- eh, not as good. But the factory installed is tops.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Best OEM battery I've ever had hands down is Motorcraft. I've never got less than ten years out of factory Motorcrafts. The replacements you get from the dealer- eh, not as good. But the factory installed is tops.

The original Motorcraft in my Town Car lasted until 1998. Replacement lasted until 2006. The most recent one was killed by a bad alternator (2006 battery) and so it now has an Optima that I "borrowed" from the Mustang.

I've got an Energizer something-or-other battery in my Cavalier, it's been in there almost a year and replaced the original AC Delco battery that lasted the previous owner and myself a combined 7 years, before it died absolutely suddenly and abruptly. The car started fine, I shut it off, it would not start again with a jump. No matter how many times I jumped it and drove it after that, it would never charge.

Wife's car has an unknown age Kirkland (Costco) battery in it, that's almost dead because leaving her lights on seems to be almost a weekly occurrence.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: mikered30
Where do you guys get the Johnson Control batteries? I only see Exide in my area.
Interstate dealer, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone are all Johnson Controls. The biggest POSs are Deka, Motorcraft, Delco Freedoms, & any maintenance-free (maintenance-resistant?) battery-GOT TO be able to add distilled water!!

Motorcraft is made by Johnson Controls.

Delco Freedoms are either no longer made or are made by Johnson Controls.

I had a Motorcraft battery (which I bought from a Ford dealer) last for 9 years in my Mercury Cougar.

I purchased Optima Gel cell battery for my Mini-Van, Pontiac, since it gets hot for a mini van. I do not know if I got my money's worth, but I did get my peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back