So what batteries do you BITOG folks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always purchased either used DieHards or Interstates, or new Duralasts. There is an Everstart (Wal-Mart I think) battery in my Suburban that the previous owner put in, dual terminal, 850CCA, going on 8 years of age next summer (7/01 on the case sticker). And yes, it's in a Texas truck dealing with Texas heat, dual AC, and towing. There is a ONE YEAR OLD Duralast top post battery in my Torino and it might as well be a cinder block. It sat for six months with the dome light on and although it has taken a charge, it isn't strong enough to start the car without a jump no matter how long I leave it on the charger. It might have 12.6 volts in it but it's not starting that car without cables attached to the Suburban's top posts.

So I'm thinking I want to buy a new dual-terminal battery for the Suburban, plug the side terminals in the old one, clean it off, check the water, and drop it in my Torino, and use the one-year old Duralast as the core for whatever I put in the truck. I haven't bought a new car battery in about 3 years, so I don't have any receipts and won't get a free replacement or a pro-rated anything, but covering a $12 core ought to be good enough.

I'm just not sure who to go with this time. Both Everstart Maxx and Duralast Gold have dual-terminal, high capacity, giant bad mother batteries. Both are priced under $90. Both have 3 years free replacement. I'd be putting either in myself, so Wal-Mart's free installation doesn't mean anything to me, because I won't let their techs touch my vehicles (not that I've had a bad experience, but because I don't trust anyone to touch my vehicles, and I have heard too much about Wal-Mart techs screwing things up to even think of changing my mine). AutoZone warranties have always treated me right. Wal-Mart customer service sucks but I always get my way one way or another. The auto departments are usually better than the front desk anyway.

I'll take any and all ideas and toss them in the mix. If I'm spending $80-$90 on a battery I want it to last 5-8 years. I'd prefer a battery I can add water to although it seems those went the way of Quadrajet carburetors and Corinthian leather. I think they call them low-maintenance batteries now although to me it's a marketing gimmick. I won't buy a sealed battery and I WILL pry up "sealed" caps if I can get a screwdriver in there. Maybe not on one of those Delco Freedom batteries with the green eyeballs, but you get the idea. It's 2am, of course I'm rambling...topic subscribed...flame on...

Oh come on, you wouldnt let me change your battery? :p
As far as I know, all of wal-marts batteries are of the low-maintenance Calcium-Lead type with removable vent caps.

I have a Champion battery in there now (I am not sure who it is made by), and it has held up very well. It has been fully discharged at least 8 times (due to bad alt and starter) and it still works good as new. It has removable vent caps and everything, and I have been adding distilled water to it about every 2 yrs. The battery itself is now about 4 yrs old and shows no signs of giving up, even in the freezing weather we have been having here in the NE, plus the car has an aftermarket sound system. Whoever makes this battery, I would not hesitate to use it, as it sure takes a lot of abuse! I also had good luck with Exide, if that means anything to you.

Last edited:
One of the few batteries that you can actually not add water to is the Delco. Almost all others have caps that can be pulled.

I like the Advance Auto batteries, warranty, free installation and easy of walking in and getting it done. Have used them for past 7 years or so in several vehicles. Used to be a Diehard fan but their quality seems to have gone down. In reality only a couple of manufacturers out there, like many things, a few that make them but different specs depending on who the retailer is

If you have something that works stay with it

just an anecdotal experience here... I've owned two Optimas and in my opinion they're not worth the powder to blow them to [censored].

We get a deal on Interstate with our fleet, they are good and their warranty actually covers something!

Service is what sold me, I'm sure they are all good products at any major store.

I replaced my stock heavy duty MotorCraft battery at 6 years of age. I recently started using a Battery Tender Jr. to extend its life. I replaced it with an Optima red top and still use the BatteryTenderJr. for those times where the truck sits for days in this cold weather. Starts right up every time.

If you bought the Duralast why not go to the store and take it back for an adjustment. Just tell them you already replaced the battery and you need a different group size and will pay the difference, etc.

What's the worst thing they are going to say, No?

Even if you didn't buy it, it's still worth a try. You said Autozone warranties have treated you right, so if you are a frequent visitor to the store, go back and see if you can get an adjustment. It's probably worth the trip.

You have little to lose and much to gain. I'm not saying lie or cheat, I'm saying see what they will do for you.

My brother recently went to an Interstate dealer to buy a Group 24 battery for his Dodge/Cummins pickup. The dealer told him that Insterstates didn't last that well in that size, so when he sold group 24 he sold Delco. That seems to speak very well for Delco, at least in that size.

I've heard it's best to buy the battery with the longest free replacement period. You are ok with about 13$ per year cost so a 45$ battery 3-4 years would similar cost. Batteries are easy/fast to change on most vehicles so not to much bother.If in a remote/rural area maybe want a new one every 2-3 years for safety and reliability reasons anyway.

FWIW, Walmart's are Excide and a decent value especially in Maintenance free Motorcycle batteries when comped to Yausa.
Yes they do have sealed maintenance free batteries.

I have a buddy who has an Interstate Distributorship, and I give him my business. We have had great luck with them.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I have a Champion battery in there now (I am not sure who it is made by), and it has held up very well. It has been fully discharged at least 8 times (due to bad alt and starter) and it still works good as new. It has removable vent caps and everything, and I have been adding distilled water to it about every 2 yrs. The battery itself is now about 4 yrs old and shows no signs of giving up, even in the freezing weather we have been having here in the NE, plus the car has an aftermarket sound system. Whoever makes this battery, I would not hesitate to use it, as it sure takes a lot of abuse! I also had good luck with Exide, if that means anything to you.

The Champion has to be the worst battery I've ever used. I picked one up form K-Mart a few years back to run on my Cadillac. It was spent within a week. I took it back for a replacement, and it too was faulty. I decided that maybe that particular sized Champ was problematic, so when I took the second one in for replacement I had it substituted for a different size for my Maxima. Guess how many days I got out of the third battery? I believe it was two.

Anyway I ended up dumping Champ batteries altogether and stick with the Wal-Mart and Duralast. I get about five years or so out of the econo-lines and I'm fairly satisfied.

If K-mart does not sell many batteries, and I think they don't, the battery could have sat there a while and been relatively discharged.This could be the case with all the batteries from K-mart, at least that particular location. Always good to charge up the battery before install if possible, charging properly (rate/voltage profiles). If they were discharged when bought,and car not run much to charge up, then they would quickly ghost, espically if colder temperatures present.

Optima Yellow Top in my Rubicon; I use the original battery as a spare. The original factory battery in my '00 F-150 is still working well, and after 8 years!

Last edited:
I am a fan of Interstate. Pending where you go, you can get them for a reasonable price.

*Side not, my F250 had a DEKA in it when I bought it. That was a good battery. Took lots of offroad and extreme cold abuse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: occupant
I'd prefer a battery I can add water to although it seems those went the way of Quadrajet carburetors and Corinthian leather.

All I ever see for sale are batteries you can add water too. Right now I couldn't tell you for sure where to go buy one that you can't (unless it's an Optima)....especially since even AC Delco batteries now have removeable vent caps (thanks to Johnson Controls having purchased Delphi's battery business).

Speaking of which, I prefer any Johnson Controls battery over any Exide battery. Exide batteries seem more prone to corrosion on the terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back