So we all know not to "mix" different greases.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but whats really going to happen? I know that when you change grease types, especially with different bases, you should be sure to flush out all the old grease, but suppose you dont? Suppose i put two or three pumps of grease with a different base into a ball joint, a u joint, or even to some trailer bearings? Ive read about this causing the grease to "collapse", but is anything really going to fail?

most of the usual grease bases that you'd use in an automotive application are compatible, usually some version of lithium, so that is why it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Bring some of that awesome "aircraft grease" or industrial greases home and you'll run into issues.

mixing incompatable base types in your u-joint can result in the greases becoming like water and running out or both greases thickening up and becoming like clay. either situation the grease fails to lubricate anymore.

thats the response i was looking for, thanks.
would you run into problems mixing a lithium base grease with a synthetic such as mobil 1 or amsoil?

syn or mineral oil is not problem it is soap or thickener type that will cause problems of which vary from no change to "degelled" grease or runny grease that will cause a dry bearing.
bruce

I have seen two lithium greases turn out to be incompatible and the mixture "thinned out" and was spun out of a u-joint (even though the standard grease charts indicate that a lithium/lithium mixture is "compatible").

If the application is critical, either have a compatibility test run or do a good flush and refill and then monitor for indications of incompatibility.

Try this...put some lithium base grease and calcium sulfonate base boat trailer grease in a paper cup and mix well. Set it aside for a couple of days. Look at the runny mess and describe it for us here. It won't be pretty.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Try this...put some lithium base grease and calcium sulfonate base boat trailer grease in a paper cup and mix well. Set it aside for a couple of days. Look at the runny mess and describe it for us here. It won't be pretty.

Did exactly that many years ago when I worked on boats .

Mercruiser 2-4-C in the grease gun , red stuff in the hubs of the trailers .

Made grey gearlube smelling stuff run out of the seals and all over the place in not very many miles .

After repacking 15-20 sets of trailer bearings in a couple of weeks , I became hip to the problems with mixing greases .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back