So I walked up to the bar...

I was on a first date the other night. I'm 12 years sober and she wants a Sierra Nevada before dinner. This is absolutely no problem, I've been in bars and parties and other stuff before without any wavering whatsoever. I walk up to the bar and order a Sierra Nevada and a Cherry Coke. As pull out my wallet, my 12-year recovery medallion falls to the floor with a clang. I don't need anyone seeing this particular item in this particular environment, but for the life of me I simply cannot find it. A helpful guy walks up and says he sees it, picks it up and hands it to me. He cheerfully comments that he himself has dropped a few things here, and the mottled floor design really hides stuff well. Very friendly. I don't know if he noticed what he picked up for me, but he didn't seem to flinch or give me any odd looks. Never had that experience before :D

I was on a first date the other night. I'm 12 years sober and she wants a Sierra Nevada before dinner. This is absolutely no problem, I've been in bars and parties and other stuff before without any wavering whatsoever. I walk up to the bar and order a Sierra Nevada and a Cherry Coke. As pull out my wallet, my 12-year recovery medallion falls to the floor with a clang. I don't need anyone seeing this particular item in this particular environment, but for the life of me I simply cannot find it. A helpful guy walks up and says he sees it, picks it up and hands it to me. He cheerfully comments that he himself has dropped a few things here, and the mottled floor design really hides stuff well. Very friendly. I don't know if he noticed what he picked up for me, but he didn't seem to flinch or give me any odd looks. Never had that experience before :D
Well done.

Everyone should remember to provide at least one non alcohol choice at all social events. No-one likes to stand there at a social event without a drink in hand. And it's no-one's business what's in someone's glass either.

A helpful guy walks up and says he sees it, picks it up and hands it to me. He cheerfully comments that he himself has dropped a few things here, and the mottled floor design really hides stuff well. Very friendly. I don't know if he noticed what he picked up for me, but he didn't seem to flinch or give me any odd looks.
“Old-school” guy..........he knew exactly what he picked up. His way of giving an out.
Congrats on the 12 plus years! You should be proud of yourself! 👍🏻

Congratulations on the 12 years, I know from friends how hard it can be. Also thank you for not being the kind of person that won't allow others with them to have a drink.

Funny thing to drop in a bar. Congrats on 12 years. I wish you many more. Hope the date worked out well for you.

Well done, especially if you can be around others drinking alcohol. There's nothing to be ashamed off with kicking a habit.

I drank a lot in my college years as everyone does but never got dependant. These days I even don't want to get drunk so without thinking go for the non alcoholic drinks. Guess my mind says I killed enough braincells already

Good for you. Not only do you have the strength to kick it, but you're able to be around it without forcing abstinence on your friends.

Back