So I used the Ford Quick lane for the first time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
See now there is a local GMC dealership and for $39.99 they will change the oil and filter with dexos, rotate the tires and give a multipoint inspection which they give you a copy of. Includes stuff like your tire depth and brake condition etc. They also vacuum and wash your car. This is all under an hour.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I was gonna ask why you were on this site complaining about any kind of quick lube place, but then I see you're from NJ. I had to show a lady from NJ how to pump gas the other day. What CAN you do in NJ?

Only complaint was being charged extra for the oil change because it wasn't 'standard Ford oil'. I believe that MotorCraft 5W-20 which is my Ford Edge takes and MotorCraft 10W-30 which is what my Sonata takes is about the same price if bought locally.

Is pumping gas something to earn a merit badge on? I grew up in NYC so I have never pumped gas until I got outside of the NY/NJ area. Is it stupid that we can't pump gas - I think so. Can everyone who is in my family pump gas - yes. We go to a local BP station that employs a bunch of people that strictly pump gas, there aren't any service bays at this station. All the people have been there for years and are a good group of people.

Since we can't pump our own gas - when it's 20 degrees out and the wind is blowing at 30 MPH and we need gas it's nice that I don't have to get out of my warm car and pump it ... feel sorry for those guys who do have to!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This thread perfectly describes the "WalMart" or "I want it cheap and I want it now" mentality. Of course when something goes wrong, they will be the first ones to crucify the offending party and wonder why a master tech did not personally work on their vehicle, all for $39.99.

Is this being directed at me? Not sure why.

I don't go there, but the local Chrysler dealer does any vehicle with up to 5 litres of semi-synthetic for $29.95 ($US 22.26) with a guaranteed 15 minute or less wait or it's free. Apparently they do want to bring business into the dealership.

For what it's worth, they sell Mopar filters for both my car and truck for under $4 ($US 2.97) a pop, and that is where i buy them.

I've never actually taken anything there for service but I have for recalls, and they were courteous, the job was done when they said it would be, and they dropped me off and picked me up every time.

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This thread perfectly describes the "WalMart" or "I want it cheap and I want it now" mentality. Of course when something goes wrong, they will be the first ones to crucify the offending party and wonder why a master tech did not personally work on their vehicle, all for $39.99.

Is this being directed at me? Not sure why.

Not you, but your thread and everyone that automatically condemned the dealer.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Maybe you should have your mechanic do the oil changes???????

Would have to drop it off the night before and pick it up ... not necessarily a good thing or convenient . Saturday as I said would be me going and hoping I'm number 1 or 2 as they only have 1 person there on Saturday and doing strictly oil changes and no other repairs.

I take the Toyota Matrix to the Ford Quick Lane many times. At first they used 5w20 syn-blend for one or two times. Then they started using the 5w30 syn-blend. Same tech each time I take it in since I park in front of the second door.

Took the Camry there for new tires, four General RT43's. I received a tire price guarantee, plus free lifetime rotations and balancing. They use the Hunter Roadforce Balancer there. Which reminds me I will take it there soon to have them balanced and maybe rotated.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Probably cheaper at the Hyundai dealer, and you go to a Ford dealer???

I guess you didn't read the the reasoning ...

Ford Quick Lane = Jiffy Lube as they work on all cars; not all Ford dealers have a Quick Lane around me. I had a coupon for $39.99 for an oil change AND tire rotation which is cheaper than doing it at Jiffy Lube AND there was either a $10 rebate or $15 if you get it into a Ford owners account which then comes out to be cheaper than Jiffy Lube and/or the Hyundai dealer. Other than waiting an hour at Quick Lane which basically is right around the corner from me and it was relatively OK except that they charged me $10 more for 10W-30 which at this point is/was my only "complaint". Jiffy Lube is across the street from the Quick Lane so equal distances ... just trying to get a better bang for my buck and possibly better service than from a Jiffy Lube.

For the Hyundai dealer it would have been 1/2 hour drive one way , wait and who knows how much for the oil change and tire rotation - for the same service. Makes sense to try something other than Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Another 'do it yourself or expect mistakes' comment..

What mistakes? I paid $10 more than I thought I was going to pay - only mistake so far as I can tell.

Nothing wrong with him going to a Ford dealer for this. Motorcraft oil is good stuff, and honestly, if you can change the oil in one brand of car, you can do it in another.. with rare exception, of course.

On the other side of the coin, I don't see $35 and change as being a terrible price for what was done. I do agree, however, that the upcharge for the particular type/weight of oil was unnecessary and should not have been applied by the dealer.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
On the other side of the coin, I don't see $35 and change as being a terrible price for what was done.

Agreed, esp since the cost includes a rotation and an inspection. For quicker service go first thing in the morning when they open or mid week around 2-3 pm. Even when there's no wait it still takes about a half hour since the tech takes his time which is fine with me. I can see him working on it so that's fine and they pull the car in right away. But there are no frills at this Ford dealer which is a gigantic one located right along I-90. No free coffee, pastry or car wash which is all fine by me. Plus the oil stays a nice honey color during the interval. Not that color is everything.

All those frills I mentioned above are offered by the Toyo dealer but the oil color turns dark as midnight after 2k miles. But the worst part is they upsell like crazy at the Toyo dealer and the QL is ultra low pressure in that regard which I like.

Last edited:
I get to work at 6:30 AM Monday through Friday and get out at 3:30, was at dealer by 4. No complaints on the amount of time taken... Maybe slightly a little longer than expected but nothing crazy long. Was home by 5:10 and making dinner!

If I get the $15 rebate and actually pay $35 for the service I think it is a good deal, never used motorcraft oil before so hopefully it will be a positive experience. I usually pay about $25 at Jiffy Lube without the inspection and tire rotation. I'm assuming some 18 YO kid is changing the oil and you have to start somewhere but unlike Jiffy Lube there are experienced mechanics nearby if needed.

My only complaint so far was the additional money as I would have liked the service for $25 as advertised vs $35 after the rebate.

Does it say 10w30 on the oil cap for the 04 Sonata? They may have used a full synthetic at that price, which if that's the case is pretty nice.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know what it says as I don't service the vehicle myself, always had it serviced by a "professional". I don't think it was full synthetic because when I asked about it for the Edge the service adviser said it would be another $30 or so. Motorcraft does make a synthetic blend 10w30 and that's probably what it got, at least that's the part number for it on the bill.

The last time I serviced any vehicle myself was in the 80's. Wasn't fond of crawling under a car with legs dangling out into NYC streets. Found it just easier to give it to people who hopefully knew what they were doing. As time went by the cars became increasing more complicated so I just gave them to mechanics for repair and Jiffy Lube for oil changes.

The Quick Lane I use is located in my driveway or garage.
Guaranteed thirty minute service with M1 or PP with Fram Ultra for under fifteen dollars in less than half an hour.
This is why most of us get under and get a little dirty, plus we have no shop manager telling us to speed things up every thirty seconds.
Either man up and do this simple maintenance task yourself or stop complaining.

I'm surprised at so many comments critical of OP going to a Ford dealer for an OC on a Hyundai. You do realize dealerships service all makes and models, right?

I have not seen a single dealer (at least in my neck of the woods) who would refuse service on a vehicle that wasn't the same make as what they are selling. It just makes zero business sense.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
I'm surprised at so many comments critical of OP going to a Ford dealer for an OC on a Hyundai. You do realize dealerships service all makes and models, right?

I have not seen a single dealer (at least in my neck of the woods) who would refuse service on a vehicle that wasn't the same make as what they are selling. It just makes zero business sense.

+1, I noticed that as well. A few obtuse ones lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back