So I got my ultrasonic cleaner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rix

Ran the SR9 and the P95 through it so far, with some medical supply cleaning concentrate.
The cleaning concentrate isn't meant for grease, oil, or firearms at all, and it still did a rather fantastic job, all things considered.
The heavy build up of goo in the p95 didn't all come off (I bought it used) but the thing certainly looks clean. I was starting to get a little corrosion or something when I started to let it dry, so I rinsed it with water and blew it dry, oiled it up alittle, did my normal grease job, and reassembled.
It certainly looks cleaner.

The sr9 I field stripped and through in, and it made a huge difference as well. the frame is nearly spotless, including the grip checkering, the slide serrations, etc.

So far, so good.

Be careful with water based cleaners and assembled sub-assemblies. You can get some water trapped and cause corrosion.

OH yeah. Especially on guns like the p series that are a pain to detail strip.
Dissimilair metals as well, corrosion and galvanic reactions are bad things for guns.

I think if I go that route, I'll try diluted simple green or superclean.
The package with the "handgun cleaner" for ultrasonic cleaners showed up today, the hi-point is in there now
smile.gif

Sounds neat. I could say that's a reason to buy new guns and always keep them clean! But I sometimes buy used filthy guns - just for fun! That SS Ruger Blackhawk was a mess and it took me forever to clean by hand.

Yeah, you have to dilute them way down.
Straight superclean is some serious stuff.
Bare aluminum is no match for it.
The epoxy coating on the floor shop doesn't like it much either.
It dissovles grease like no other though.

Ran the Wife's stainless walther (interarms) PPK through the thing last night.... HOLY COW!!
Man, the innards of that thing were filthy.
Tomight I'll strip it all down and re-oil everything.

I also ran the hi-point thorugh it, just feild stripped it and threw it in.

The slide coating came out a litte more dull.
LOL.
I cleaned a bunch of lead fouling out of the barrel, reassembled it, oiled it, loaded it, put it back in it's place.
Nice to not have to worry about that one.

I found out Simple Green eats aluminum the hard way. The US cleaner just accelerated the damage.

Since then I've switched to Simple Green Aircraft cleaner. It's rated safe for aluminum aircraft and works great for a degreasing solution, for corrosive ammo, and in the tank. Not too bad for under $20 a gallon.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back