So I call Shell/Pennzoil for a track day/HPDE oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell her the Z28 I have has a LS6 in it with no oil cooler. I explained that the oil would see 300 degrees at times.She knows what HPDE's are as her husband does it.

She said to use Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 Euro.

Amazon has it for $45 for 6 quarts shipped.

Try it or stay with my Royal Purple 10-40?

Thoughts?

They have run that 5w-40 in more severe situations than yours!

We pulled this from the garbage can when taking a tour of the Team Penske Pennzoil Indy car at the Baltimore street race:

JH1_0409.jpg

No they dont care about a 5k oci but they do worry about protection at 10,000 rpm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FASTFATBOY
I tell her the Z28 I have has a LS6 in it with no oil cooler. I explained that the oil would see 300 degrees at times.She knows what HPDE's are as her husband does it.

Thoughts?

I'd try the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro blend over the Royal Purple. Too many UOA's on this site where Royal Purple has sheared out of grade with normal use. Can't say that I'd want it in my track car for that reason.

Originally Posted By: MrBeachcomber

Thoughts?

I'd try the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro blend over the Royal Purple. Too many UOA's on this site where Royal Purple has sheared out of grade with normal use. Can't say that I'd want it in my track car for that reason.

I did a UOA and posted it here, had some HARD miles on the RP and it did fine, I posted it as 10-40 but was actually 5-30.

But the cost difference in these two oils is significant.

...I did a UOA and posted it here, had some HARD miles on the RP and it did fine, I posted it as 10-40 but was actually 5-30.

The UOA you posted showed 4.7K miles including track days, a hot rod tour, and auto-xing on RP 5W-30 that ended up with a borderline 30 weight viscosity (9.96 cSt @ 100C) despite the fact that you added two quarts of oil during the same time frame. Without the make up oil, the viscosity would have been borderline. The make up oil should have resulted in a higher viscosity since it shouldn't have sheared down any faster than the oil in the sump. That leads me to believe the original RP sheared out of grade, and that's why I wouldn't use RP in my engine.

You have said before on other forums that Redline Oil and now Pennzoil Ultra Euro is too expensive. Please keep in mind that rebuilding a worn out engine is more expensive than maintaining your current engine. Running a high performance engine on high performance oil is money in the bank so to speak.

In 45 years of drag racing, SCCA Club Racing, and auto-xing, I've gone through a lot of oil, but never lost any engine to oil related problems. My daily drivers have gone over 261K miles on Redline Oil which includes track days and at least 18 auto-x's per year. That's why I think of premium oil as an investment rather than an expense. However, that's just my opinion and YMMV.

Originally Posted By: MrBeachcomber
FASTFATBOY said:
Quote:
...I did a UOA and posted it here, had some HARD miles on the RP and it did fine, I posted it as 10-40 but was actually 5-30.

The UOA you posted showed 4.7K miles including track days, a hot rod tour, and auto-xing on RP 5W-30 that ended up with a borderline 30 weight viscosity (9.96 cSt @ 100C) despite the fact that you added two quarts of oil during the same time frame. Without the make up oil, the viscosity would have been borderline. The make up oil should have resulted in a higher viscosity since it shouldn't have sheared down any faster than the oil in the sump. That leads me to believe the original RP sheared out of grade, and that's why I wouldn't use RP in my engine.

You have said before on other forums that Redline Oil and now Pennzoil Ultra Euro is too expensive. Please keep in mind that rebuilding a worn out engine is more expensive than maintaining your current engine. Running a high performance engine on high performance oil is money in the bank so to speak.

In 45 years of drag racing, SCCA Club Racing, and auto-xing, I've gone through a lot of oil, but never lost any engine to oil related problems. My daily drivers have gone over 261K miles on Redline Oil which includes track days and at least 18 auto-x's per year. That's why I think of premium oil as an investment rather than an expense. However, that's just my opinion and YMMV.

I never said the Pennzoil Euro was too expensive, Redline on the other hand is kinda pricey.

I haven't looked to see if I can the the Pennzoil Ultra Euro locally but will this weekend.

I understand what you are saying with the RP, this engine and most all LS1/6 based engines use oil when being run hard, so I always take 2 extra quarts with me to an event and usually it will at least use a 1/2 quart a day minimum. I keep an eagle eye on it at the track.

I am leaning towards trying the PUE(new acronym?) and see what it does on a UOA.

I never said the Pennzoil Euro was too expensive, Redline on the other hand is kinda pricey.

My bad! I misinterpreted the meaning of your statement "... the cost difference in these two oils is significant" in one of your previous posts. Didn't mean to put words into your mouth. Sorry!

Quote:
I understand what you are saying with the RP, this engine and most all LS1/6 based engines use oil when being run hard, so I always take 2 extra quarts with me to an event and usually it will at least use a 1/2 quart a day minimum. I keep an eagle eye on it at the track.

My experience with a stock Z06 (LS6) at VIR is add a 1/2 quart overfill for a weekend. Most of my consumed oil tends to be blown out during crankcase venting. (Learned quickly to attach a puke can for overflow. I seem to collect a couple of ounces per morning/ afternoon session. I don't use up the entire 1/2 quart during the weekend; however, my Z06 has less than 7K miles on the odometer.) Most of the rebuilt LS1/LS6 engines my buddies run tend to have looser clearances for high RPM operation; and all of them have a modified LS oil pump for more flow at upper RPM. They tend to have the same oil consumption as to what you described.

If you're worried about shearing, the PU will likely shear to a 30 grade as well. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use it for that reason though.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back