So confused - Should I use a thin 40 or thick 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If in doubt....

C084760A-B5D1-436F-BA5F-3CFA55797FF6.jpeg

Originally Posted by Patman
In the case of my Corvette I decided to go the route of a thick 30. Given the choice between M1 ESP Formula 5w30 and ESP Formula 0w40, I feel that 5w30 is the better oil. It actually has a higher HTHS than the 40, a better flashpoint, and lower sulfated ash.

In the case of my wife's BMW I decided to go with the thin 40, as I feel Castrol 0w40 is one of the best choices that is readily available and has the BMW LL01 certification. The price on Castrol 0w40 in the 5L jugs up here is hard to beat too.

Hey Patman,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the old Mobil 1 ESP FORMULA 5W30 has been fazed out - at least in the US, it has. Replaced by Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 (which on paper, has been "watered down" to a HTHS of 3.5 and flashpoint of 239C. Ash % is 0.8). The old formula 5W30 was 3.58 HTHS with a flashpoint of 254C. Ash% was 0.6

Since the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40 now has the greater HTHS (3.54) and same level ash % as the ESP 5W30 (0.8), you may want to reconsider.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Should I use a thin 40 or thick 30? The thin 40 says it meets approvals whereas the thick 30 says it exceeds those approvals. The thick 30 is made in the USA but the thin 40 isn't. My vehicle is a foreign make but I suspect the turbo is made in the US by Borg Warner (CAFE requirements yo!). Should I use the thick 30 because it's also made in the USA and subjected to CAFE? I read the French MSDS for the thick 30 and it leads me to suspect there's a lot of viscosity index improver but the corresponding PDS for this product suggests it meets my oil cert in year 2001. Does this mean that the VII's in the thick 30 are old early 2000's era technology? It gets hot where I live, especially in the summer. My commute is 5 miles is uphill, both ways, so I"m thinking thin 40 might be better because sometimes on that hill I have to rev the engine. I've read that the 40 weight is spec in Agartha because of the heat and like I said it's hot in my area during the summer.

Does anyone know about ACEA? I see this name next to the make of my vehicle. I've never seen any of their models on the road (Model A3, C3, etc). They seem to have a lot of them.

0W-40 (ACEA A3/B4) is fine. You don't need to worry about a thick xW-30.

For shorter OCIs (less than 1 yr and 5k miles) and Georgia, a cheap yet thicker CK-4/SN 15W-40 (ACEA E9) is fine, too. You can also use a CK-4/SN 5W-40, which is thicker than 0W-40 and thinner than 15W-40, and do longer OCIs (10k miles and longer than 1 yr if necessary).

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/delo-400-xsp-sae-5w-40.html

Originally Posted by Brybo86
How about a mod just deletes this pointless thread?

He'd probably have to delete 1/2 the threads based on that criteria.
grin2.gif
laugh.gif

French MSDS lol.
I'm from Agratha by the way. It really is a place.
You could just go with a 0w16 for your application. I promise it will be ok
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by Brybo86
How about a mod just deletes this pointless thread?

Or maybe it along with all the other "thick vs thin" threads that routinely pop up to the humor section. It was my feeble attempt at satire. Of course it was also interesting to see who actually read what I typed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Should I use a thin 40 or thick 30? The thin 40 says it meets approvals whereas the thick 30 says it exceeds those approvals. I've read that the 40 weight is spec in Agartha because of the heat and like I said it's hot in my area during the summer.

Does anyone know about ACEA? I see this name next to the make of my vehicle. I've never seen any of their models on the road (Model A3, C3, etc). They seem to have a lot of them.

JAG is spot on.
More than a joke.

In OZ we would say he is "taking the mickey" or "taking the pizz" out of you OR us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Best F100

Hey Patman,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the old Mobil 1 ESP FORMULA 5W30 has been fazed out - at least in the US, it has. Replaced by Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 (which on paper, has been "watered down" to a HTHS of 3.5 and flashpoint of 239C. Ash % is 0.8). The old formula 5W30 was 3.58 HTHS with a flashpoint of 254C. Ash% was 0.6

Since the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40 now has the greater HTHS (3.54) and same level ash % as the ESP 5W30 (0.8), you may want to reconsider.

When the time comes that I can't get the old ESP Formula 5w30 I will cross that bridge, but for now I still see the old formula listed on the Canadian Mobil 1 website and even though Canadian Tire been selling the 1L bottles on clearance for a little while now, they have also started re stocking a lot of the stores with the 1 quart bottles of the same ESP Formula 5w30. I currently have 18L of this oil and will probably buy even more, so I have a while before I need to decide on an alternative (and hopefully by then more dexos2 5w30s will be available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back