Snowblower oil 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant believe I am thinking of the oil for the snowblower! I bought it new, ran it about 8 hours on the factory oil, then changed it this March with Mobil super 5000. Plan on changing that oil by November 1st as the manual recommends synthetic 5w-30 for anything under 32 degrees. Anyone have a good 5w-30 synthetic oil recommendation? I will get a UOA done on this oil too.

amsoil hdd 5w 30 or if its really cold the amsoil 0w 30. Pennzoil platinum would work well too, i second jc1 on that.

Okay. I will give it a thought! I hear great things about that oil. Our last snowblower lasted 4 years before it fell apart. Engine was still strong but the lousy parts are what you get with an MTD.

The regular Mobil 1 5w30 has great cold flow properties, the high mileage stuff also has a great additive package but I don't think it cranks as smooth below 0. If you are starting in a heated garage it won't matter.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Any reason why Walmart synthetic shouldn't be used?

Nope. It is what I've used in my MTD snowblower for at least 10 years now. I guess my MTD snowblower was made on a good day.

You only got four years? My cheapo MTD will be going on 15 this year, and the first year it was used on a gravel driveway. What happened?

As for oil, I used to use M1 AFE 0W-30 which worked fine. This last year I used 0W-20 which gave a bit more consumption but started easier. I don't know where you live exactly but it gets cold here in Wisconsin and whatever starts the easiest for me is what I'm using.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Okay. I will give it a thought! I hear great things about that oil. Our last snowblower lasted 4 years before it fell apart. Engine was still strong but the lousy parts are what you get with an MTD.

Your MTD was made 15 years ago back when they made them well. We had an Ariens mower made by MTD which we drove into the ground, and had a few other MTD's that were good. It seemed they started to cheap them out around '04-05 and from then it has gone down hill. I'm thinking PP or PPU will be what I use, and only change it before the first snow.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
amsoil hdd 5w 30 or if its really cold the amsoil 0w 30. Pennzoil platinum would work well too, i second jc1 on that.

Second vote for HDD. Very high ZDDP and Ca add pack.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Your MTD was made 15 years ago back when they made them well. We had an Ariens mower made by MTD which we drove into the ground, and had a few other MTD's that were good. It seemed they started to cheap them out around '04-05 and from then it has gone down hill. I'm thinking PP or PPU will be what I use, and only change it before the first snow.

My brother in law is still using the MTD snow blower I originally purchased for my late father in 1995. He just uses conventional 5W-30, but he does change it regularly. It has an electric start from a wall outlet, that helps. The only thing is a fuel line is leaking slightly, not bad after almost 20 years on E10. I guess the old machines lasted too long, can't have that
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
I have only used dino oils in my OPE for over 45 years! Never used synthetic oils and the engines have long outlasted the rest of the units.

I run my OPE long and hard. I have had some of my OPE myself for over 20 years and some OPE I got for free at already 20 years old. Never an engine problem. Carb problems maybe but, not engine!

But as stated, the rest of the lawnmower/snowblower/powerwasher, fell apart long before the engines, which were still running OK! And I never changed the oils more than once a season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back