Snow Tires Studdable ok if not using studs?

Hello

I am looking to purchase a set of snow tires.

When I search for snow tires on tire rack I see Studdable tires and Studless tires.

I have no plans and never will put studs on the tires.

This bein said should I focus on studless tires or is ok to entertain studdable tires and just not put studs in them?

Thanks!!

You can run studded without studs, but they will not grip as well.

I would get a studless set. I had a set of studless W50 Blizzaks years ago that did great. Also had Goodyear Nordic studded tires and the noise the studs make on dry pavement is annoying.

You can go either way. just don't put the studs in for snows which can accept them.

We have the "studible" General AltiMAX Arctic without the studs and they've been awesome in the north east winters(NY & PA) since 2013. I put them on ~ Thanksgiving and take them off in April. And they can still go a few more winters.

We have the "studible" General AltiMAX Arctic without the studs and they've been awesome in the north east winters(NY & PA) since 2013. I put them on ~ Thanksgiving and take them off in April. And they can still go a few more winters.
+1 for General Artctic.

Mine are now 10+ years old, so ready to be dumped, but the first 5-6 years or so they worked very well for me.

Ha, a friend just arranged for a mounted set (4 steel wheels & 4 snows) through a Town Fair Tire shop in Rutland, VT as Tirerack.com had none.
He went narrower. He expects studdable examples. Today he learns what sizes are available.
It'll be $979 + tax.

I'll be a third to chime in on the success of the studdable, but "not a requirement to stud" General Altimax Arctic. I live in the Southtowns of Buffalo, NY and have ran many upon many sets of Altimax Arctic's without studs on many different vehicles with great success. They're an awesome tire and a good value.

If you're not going to use studs, you're better off with studless.

Studdable tires are designed to work with the studs, and the studs are made to wear at the same rate as the tires themselves.

I run studless snows just because that's what's out there in my price range. I've had studs too and they didn't really improve things in my climate, and bugged me on the dry days.

Studable tires without studs are ok, unless on the ice. Their ice traction was supposed to be provided by the missing studs.
They are usually the cheapest winter tire option. They are decent for winter tires.
However if your budget allows studless, especially premium like Michelin Xice Snow or Continental Viking Contact 7, go for studless.

Krzyś

Cooper Evolution Winter . Many deep sipes to base of tire for more grip . There T-rated and priced at fairly low cost . Should be a rebate in October .

What is your tire size? :unsure:

Cooper Evolution Winter . Many deep sipes to base of tire for more grip . There T-rated and priced at fairly low cost . Should be a rebate in October .
OP would likely be better off with the (studless) True North, if made in the required size and OP likes Cooper.

Back