Snow tire/made in USA rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
In for a set, thanks OP. $41 a tire for 185-65-14s for my Neon. The Germans make good stuff. I think I'll pay off my card before the usurious 26.99% interest kicks in.
wink.gif

I just purchased these (GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC) for my Civic in 205/55R-16. I ordered them last Thur @ 4PM and they were delivered Fri next day.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I just purchased these (GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC) for my Civic in 205/55R-16.

That's one of the few sizes in which Altimax Arctic is made in the US as well. Is yours made in US or Germany?

Originally Posted By: oilotaku
to my knowledge goodyear is all thats left for the most part at least as far as major brands. I've been told coopers and mastercraft (cheaper cooper brand) are no longer usa made.

Not accurate. Many Cooper tires are USA made.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Cbut why is it so hard to find good tires made in the USA that match (or very nearly match) the price of comparable if not better tires made Elsewhere?

Congrats and cheers for making an effort for your neighbors either next door or across the country, reliant on those jobs.

Unfortunately you might be at a disadvantage. In Europe, safety regulations drive the use of winter tires in many places, and with Europe being much further north than much of the USA (what is it, Barcelona Spain is the same latitude as Philadelphia? Im too lazy to look at a map but its something like that), snow tires are more common.

SO its likely that snow tires will come from there, as its probably more efficient plant-wise.

Sometimes you just cant get what you want from a domestic supplier. That is what it is. At that point there are products which come from countries with similar social costs, and are priced better/worse/same, and then there are products which come from nations where the workers are paid very little, yet the prices, while lower, dont necessarily reflect that. Korea may be an interesting case, as Ive heard (not confirmed) that social costs are similar, but the government is so export oriented, that they massively subsidize a lot of things. Not sure if that is true or not.

The market for winter tires in the US is very small because we generally prefer all-seasons, whereas Europeans still prefer separate tires for summer and winter, and it's even the law in some of those countries.

Tires, being big and heavy, are best made near where they will be sold the most, except for really cheap Chinese tires that are cheaper than everybody, but so is their quality.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The market for winter tires in the US is very small because we generally prefer all-seasons, whereas Europeans still prefer separate tires for summer and winter, and it's even the law in some of those countries.

Tires, being big and heavy, are best made near where they will be sold the most, except for really cheap Chinese tires that are cheaper than everybody, but so is their quality.

I noted that Goodyear has one tire that fits the OP's requests - in both sizes that were mentioned. Some of the stuff I've read about this particular tire is that Goodyear was specifically marketing this to the budget conscious consumer, and that their main competitor was the General Altimax Arctic.

As far as the cost of shipping goes, that's actually not as big an issue these days with container shipping being fairly cheap and efficient. A lot of big bulky items are made in low manufacturing cost countries and shipped to the US.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I dream of tire prices that low.

Then I awaken to at least thousand dollar bills for all four.

That happens when you don't drive around an econobox. I can get tires that cheap for my wife's Civic. My car costs a bit more, but not insane since I'm not driving around on 17/18" wheels.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: typ901
Also prior to radial snow tires, we were always told that all season tires were enough, then SUV's hit the market with 4x4 to supposedly save us. Sorry but traction is king, and in the winter that comes from snow tires.

Let's face it, we are a lazy bunch here in the US. Many of us struggle to get our cars serviced on time. Most people don't want to hear about having to buy (and store) a second set of wheels/tires and then having to swap them twice a year. Very few people understand the huge advantages that dedicated winter tires offer, and hence the demand here is still relatively low. And you don't see too much media blitz from the tire makers on this either, for whatever reason. All the hoopla is now about maximum treadlife and low rolling resistance - things that typically aren't prioritized in winter tires.

The other issue is that even if you do have winter tires, chances are a bunch of drivers around you on the road don't, and you'll be stuck going 5 mph behind one of them anyway.

For me all 3 cars in the home fleet run snows. It bites changing and storing but it does help with cold weather driving. Not sure I agree with the lazy angle though. We Americans work a lot, and I think it is more of a burned out or overwhelmed feeling than just laziness.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I just purchased these (GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC) for my Civic in 205/55R-16.

That's one of the few sizes in which Altimax Arctic is made in the US as well. Is yours made in US or Germany?

Mine are made in Germany

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In Europe, safety regulations drive the use of winter tires in many places, and with Europe being much further north than much of the USA (what is it, Barcelona Spain is the same latitude as Philadelphia? Im too lazy to look at a map but its something like that), snow tires are more common.

Close. Fortunately, this info is easy to find.

European cities overlaid on a North America map:

europe_usjuxv2.jpg

North American cities overlaid on a Europe map:

europe_usjuxv3.jpg

These images are from:

http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2011/03/north-america-western-europe-equivalent-latitude-maps.html

Goodyears and GY's Dunlop brand...might be U.S., but the last winter tires I've had of both brands were German.

Michelins are made all over the world. I don't think I've seen a French Michelin tire in the last 40 years. My motorcycle's Michelin tires are one Spanish and one Thai. Michelin's U.S. tire plants include the Uniroyal and BFGoodrich brands.

Many tire companies make tires in the U.S., but often the tire lines are mixed with plants from around the world. Current or plants-under-construction in the U.S. include Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Yokohama, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, as well as Cooper and Goodyear.
http://www.rubbernews.com/article/201404...-billions-into#

You won't be disappointed with the Altimax Artics. I have them and they are the best bang for the buck winter tire out there. This is coming from a Canadian dealing with Canadian prices.

They also go by the name of Gislaved Nordfrost 3. What I like most is that the sipes go all the way down to the tire face, unlike almost all others tires that have sipes for 50% of the tread and then they turn into normal all seasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Goodyears and GY's Dunlop brand...might be U.S., but the last winter tires I've had of both brands were German.

Michelins are made all over the world. I don't think I've seen a French Michelin tire in the last 40 years. My motorcycle's Michelin tires are one Spanish and one Thai. Michelin's U.S. tire plants include the Uniroyal and BFGoodrich brands.

They list 13 factories in France. Some specialize only in truck/bus tires. A few are devoted to agricultural tires. The factory in Bourges apparently only makes aircraft tires. One factory only makes cables (for the treads?).

http://www.michelin.com/eng/michelin-gro...8country%29/954

Frankly I've never seen a Michelin car tire made in France. The Dunlop SP 9000s I bought were made in France. The only Michelin tires I've seen made in France were for my bicycles.

I went through Tire Rack's specs for Michelin. They're showing some car tires that **may be** made in France, like the Pilot Sport 3 in 215/45R17. Most are made in Hungary. The Pilot Super Sport lists manufacturing in France or the US. The competition tires seem to be mostly made in France. Several of their winter tires may be made in France.

I handled a Space Shuttle tire at a museum. Bias ply and apparently used only once and taken out of service. The only supplier was Michelin, and they say they were made in their factory in North Carolina.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Frankly I've never seen a Michelin car tire made in France. The Dunlop SP 9000s I bought were made in France. The only Michelin tires I've seen made in France were for my bicycles.

I never have seen a Made in France Michelin tire, either, until my Latitude Tours. These are the non-P-metric version, in 225/65R17 (vs. the more common P225/65R17). Michelin says that they're OEM on something, but they didn't show in their system exactly what it was. I believe they're likely OEM on a European model, since they are made in Europe, they lack the "P-metric" designation more common in North America, and they are not typically stocked/sold in the United States (where the US-made P225/65R17 would be more popular).

And yes, Michelin is/was the exclusive supplier for Space Shuttle tires, and they are/were made in their plant in Norwood, North Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back