Snow Blower Warm Up Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how long, if any do you guys warm up your snow-blower before using it during a snow storm?

I do not warm it up for an exact time, but usually turn it on before clearing the front steps to my city home. I figure the 3-5 minutes it takes to clear the steps is good enough. I also do not jump right in to surprise left by the city plow. The snow on the rest of the driveway does not seem to really push the engine as the governor does not typically rev up very high until I hit the stuff at the end of the driveway.

However long it takes to turn off the choke completely. Then as the poster above said, I don't go tackle the stuff the plows left until I've made a couple of passes down the driveway.

15-20 secs. I start it with the choke and as soon as it is running (less than 3-5 sec) off with the choke, engage the auger and go!

I let it run for 30 secs after I'm done and turn it off.

Bill

I pretty much do the same thing. I start it, open the choke and just start throwing snow, at about 3/4 throttle, and not bog it down. Once its been running a while I tackle the pile the plow left in front of the driveway.

Before I actually start it I leave it in the off position and pull the cord a few times to slop the oil around, then start it up.

I just wanted to see how others treated their machines.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I pretty much do the same thing. I start it, open the choke and just start throwing snow, at about 3/4 throttle, and not bog it down. Once its been running a while I tackle the pile the plow left in front of the driveway.

Before I actually start it I leave it in the off position and pull the cord a few times to slop the oil around, then start it up.

I just wanted to see how others treated their machines.
Mine does not have a throttle. I actually like this a lot better as it seems not to rev as high as others and when you get into heavy snow, it does not bog a bit.

Smart move pulling through before starting! (I do the same so it has to be smart...
cheers3.gif
)

Take care, Bill

I do the pull before turning it to the run position trick with every small engine I own. If it has electric start, I crank it with the engine in the off position. That and the gas always has MMO in it.

Frank D

About 10 seconds.

It is a newer Toro 5hp single stage. Once started choke is off in 10 seconds or so and then off to the races.

I really don't let it warm up much, as soon as it runs smooth with the choke open all the way it's blowing, I just don't load it down heavily for a few minutes

I start it with the Choke on, and when it's almost off choke I go to it. If it's heavy snow then I wait till the choke is off completely... Usually about 3-4 minutes after starting...

Like others, pretty much as soon as the engine smooths out with the choke fully off, we're blowing snow. Like others, I don't hit it with a full load right off the bat, but I don't wait around very long either!

Yep, similar to you, about 2 minutes.

Now that I ponied up (big time) on a new 10HP Toro,
grin2.gif
I wait about 5 minutes and vary the throttle around. This will help things seal better and get it little warmer...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
..Mine does not have a throttle. I actually like this a lot better as it seems not to rev as high as others and when you get into heavy snow, it does not bog a bit..

Similar setup on the 7hp Tecumseh OHV on my 24" Yard Machines. It's got a "throttle" lever like all Snow Kings, but really it's just idle and full governed speed, which sure seems like a lower RPM than older flat-heads, etc.. You can try to feather a high idle out of it, but it's pointless. These things need to run at full governed speed for it nothing more than to vaporize the condensation out of the oil. Regardless, the throttle plate goes wide open when it needs to. I start mine full choke after a cpl pushes of the primer. One pull she fires. Ease the choke off until it stabilizes and go to work. Usually takes no more than 10sec.

Joel

Mine usually starts on one pull as well. That's why I leave it in the off position and pull the cord a few times to slop the oil around. Not sure if that amounts to a hill of beans in terms of engine life,
21.gif
but it makes me feel a little better.

I always said I was going to move back south. I figured I would tie my snowblower to the front of my Jeep, and the first time someone asked me what that was is where I would live.

I let it start with spark or at least try. Don't want extra gas getting sucked into the oil.

Idle 15 seconds then do the first row on 1/2 choke in 1st gear.

Yea.. we all have to live with what nature throws at us. I guess that my emergency generator is equal to your snowblower.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back