SN+ on Euro 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MParr
Could it be because, most European cars require premium gas?

I did not hear about LSPI issues in VW Tiguan you own and that can run on 87.

I will be running 93 octane. My theory is that regular gas (87 octane) the car's ECM, corrections in timing and fuel trim and lugging the engine are major factors in LSPI.

Last edited:
I will be running 93 octane. My theory is that regular gas (87 octane) the car's ECM, corrections in timing and fuel trim and lugging the engine are major factors in LSPI.

I'd use whatever the manual says --------

Clearly that engine is built with 91 minimum in mind (heck, I use 91 in Sienna, that is Premium in CO). I would not worry about LSPI in Tiguan. Just enjoy the car.

Originally Posted by jakeyjohn1
Originally Posted by edyvw
. All these turbo's are able to run on 87, which is really antithesis when it comes to turbo technology) etc. That is why LSPI can become an issue.

Don't VW's 1.8T TSI engines run 87 octane with no LSPI problems? When I asked about LSPI in a 2.0T TSI people seemed to agree it was only a problem in very small displacement engines...

Yes, the 1.8T TSI Engines can run on 87. I have put both 87 and 93 in and noticed no significant difference in performance. It even says to use 87 on the gas door. The manual says you can use higher octane but it's pretty vague in terms of benefits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
. All these turbo's are able to run on 87, which is really antithesis when it comes to turbo technology) etc. That is why LSPI can become an issue.

Don't VW's 1.8T TSI engines run 87 octane with no LSPI problems? When I asked about LSPI in a 2.0T TSI people seemed to agree it was only a problem in very small displacement engines...

Yes, the 1.8T TSI Engines can run on 87. I have put both 87 and 93 in and noticed no significant difference in performance.

The difference comes at high rpms. On 93 it will be more "enthusiastic" to put it this way.

Originally Posted by BurntMusic

Yes, the 1.8T TSI Engines can run on 87. I have put both 87 and 93 in and noticed no significant difference in performance.

The difference comes at high rpms. On 93 it will be more "enthusiastic" to put it this way.

Ah, that would explain it then. I really have no need to mash the pedal. I'll get to 3-4k RPMs occasionally but I don't really redline it like I probably should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back