SN/CK-4 in gas engine?

Engine - significantly worn 2001 Chrysler 3.9/6. No cats.

Oil - Kirkland (Warren) 15W40 SN/CK-4.

I presume that this is a useable oil for this application, having the SN designation? I read a few threads that made it sound good, but none which explicitly answered this.

I presume that this is a useable oil for this application, having the SN designation? I read a few threads that made it sound good, but none which explicitly answered this.
Pretty much when CK-4 became a thing HDEOs have to meet all API S-rating limits in order to be dual rated. So SN/CK-4 is perfectly safe to use in a gas engine with a catalyst.

Now, older oils that were CJ-4 and also were dual rated were allowed to be dual rated under an exception and they may have upwards of 1200ppm of phosphorous vs the 800ppm limit in API SM and beyond. So maybe use them with caution in an oil burner, but otherwise I wouldn't lose sleep at night over having it in the sump if your car doesn't consume much oil and isn't famous for burning up cats, ie. I wouldn't use it in a 5.6L Nissan VK.

As of May 1, 2021, SN will be obsolete and SP will be in full force. Also, HDEO oils will not be getting a dual rating if their phosphorus concentration is more than 800 ppm. Party’s Over.
I thought the already stopped dual rating them if it did, or was that just Shell, Chevron, and Mobil being courteous and not all manufacturers obliged.

SN is SN for your purposes.

Now, older oils that were CJ-4 and also were dual rated were allowed to be dual rated under an exception and they may have upwards of 1200ppm of phosphorous vs the 800ppm limit in API SM and beyond. So maybe use them with caution in an oil burner, but otherwise I wouldn't lose sleep at night over having it in the sump if your car doesn't consume much oil and isn't famous for burning up cats, ie. I wouldn't use it in a 5.6L Nissan VK.

Dont care about rating

Use any store bought 15w40 with that worn and dead catalytic engine. Sales, rebated, clearanced, and SupertechKirkland or store brand oils are all good enough.
Thank you! Bought a case while in transit....

M
"Yes"

Coming up on 300K, and I think I'm the first one to treat it well. She do burn a bit of oil, but is not a mosquito fogger just yet.

When I have a couple weeks "free", a Mercedes 3L diesel is getting swapped in.
My grandfather ran one of these to 400k miles and it was still going when it was stolen. I doubt it made it far but hasn’t been found yet. He ran 15w40 rotella in it and I bet it didn’t get changed more than 2 or 3 times. No transmission work either and no maintenance on it at all.

M

My grandfather ran one of these to 400k miles and it was still going when it was stolen. I doubt it made it far but hasn’t been found yet. He ran 15w40 rotella in it and I bet it didn’t get changed more than 2 or 3 times. No transmission work either and no maintenance on it at all.
I must not be understanding this. Are you saying he changed the oil 2-3x in 400k?

I must not be understanding this. Are you saying he changed the oil 2-3x in 400k?
Wouldn’t surprise me at all. He is the worlds worst about maintenance on anything. You are understanding correctly. Those engines are way more durable than most give them credit for. The transmissions were the issue however this one was a fluke. It was getting really weak towards the end of his ownership. I told him I wanted the van when it finally gave up because I wanted to see what the inside of the engine looked like but it was stolen by some tweaker running from the cops. It still hasn’t been recovered. Honestly it was a shame because the interior was almost spotless and the body was in good shape except for some rust repair. It ran from SW MO to the Quad Cities IA area every 3-4 weeks most of its life in addition to running around locally. He is an independent truck and trailer dealer and it was used as the company and person car.

Back