Smith & Wesson M&P Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you, S&W knocked it out of the park when they invented the Shield. A lot of people own them and they keep outselling the Glock (whatever number, who knows) in its size category. I tried shooting different calibers with and without the pinky ext. magazine. I felt like each time I would shoot it I would limp wrist it because I couldn't get a proper grip. It's not for me. But, they sure sell a lot of them.
smile.gif

I need to go on the hunt for a different holster setup. I'm only 5'7" so pocket carrying a Shield isn't really practical for me - I've tried it and get too much of an imprint.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I have the exact same holster. Not trying to hijack the man's thread, but how is your "stickiness" holding up? I like to put mine in the small of my back and I've been surprised at the amount of movement I get from the holster.

I only use it for pocket carry, but it's showing some pretty heavy wear although it's all cosmetic.

S&W quality + the price is what attrcted me. Not to mention all the positive reviews I saw online. I love my Glock .40s, but when I went looking for a single stack arrangment, the Shield just stood out of the crowd.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I tell you, S&W knocked it out of the park when they invented the Shield. A lot of people own them and they keep outselling the Glock (whatever number, who knows) in its size category. I tried shooting different calibers with and without the pinky ext. magazine. I felt like each time I would shoot it I would limp wrist it because I couldn't get a proper grip. It's not for me. But, they sure sell a lot of them.
smile.gif

I have the shield 9. I prefer Sig V-Crown 115g for my edc. Hornady critical defense also works well.

Originally Posted By: dan323
I have the shield 9. I prefer Sig V-Crown 115g for my edc. Hornady critical defense also works well.

It's good that they function in your gun but from a wound ballistic standpoint those are two of the worst choices for a 3 inch shield. The critical defense typically falls short of the IWBA minimum penetration requirements and the V Crowns have trouble expanding and act like FMJ with smaller holes and over penetration.

I run hst 124 gr standard pressure in my shield and would recommend that for yours as well if you want a more capable round.

I had a Sheild. I sold it. Couldn't warm up to it. I MUCH prefer the Glock 26, Glock 42, AND Glock 43 that I own and carry. I carry all three on a regular basis, and for me, they are/were superior to the Shield.

That being said, the new M&P 2.0 is the freaking cats meow. Probably my favorite full-size polymer gun right now. So much so, I keep it next to the bed, a very high honor in my household.

Originally Posted By: PW01
Has anybody done the Apex trigger upgrade?

yes, and well worth it.

The trigger pull is much netter.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I had a Sheild. I sold it. Couldn't warm up to it. I MUCH prefer the Glock 26, Glock 42, AND Glock 43 that I own and carry. I carry all three on a regular basis, and for me, they are/were superior to the Shield.

Great minds think alike I got rid of my shield and use the same three. But I hardly carry the 26.

Originally Posted By: Al

Great minds think alike I got rid of my shield and use the same three. But I hardly carry the 26.

Y'all must have some very small hands to hold onto those guns. Everyone you mentioned my pinky totally misses the grip, even with the pinky ext. grip. I almost had one come out of my hand when I tried shooting it. I think it was a Glock 26, 36, I don't know, one of their smallest guns. And the Shield, it's not much better. It's just as small. Even the G19 & G23 are too short.
I have an SD 9 & SD 40, along with the 1.0 & 2.0 FS .40's. My hand fits those grips very well.
If the 19X were black and about $250 cheaper, I would PROBABLY buy it.

I left the 642 at home and carried the Shield today. I'm going to start carrying it more. 5 plus a speed strip doesn't should as good as 8 plus 8 reload.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Y'all must have some very small hands to hold onto those guns. Everyone you mentioned my pinky totally misses the grip, even with the pinky ext. grip. I almost had one come out of my hand when I tried shooting it. I think it was a Glock 26, 36, I don't know, one of their smallest guns. And the Shield, it's not much better. It's just as small. Even the G19 & G23 are too short.
I have an SD 9 & SD 40, along with the 1.0 & 2.0 FS .40's. My hand fits those grips very well.
If the 19X were black and about $250 cheaper, I would PROBABLY buy it.

Your pinky does not need to get on the grip. The bottom of the grip actually rests on top of my pinky..at about the middle of the bottom. If its jumping out of your hand its a faulty grip.

In one of my advanced SD classes the instructor slo-moed the class and the firearm jumped in half of them...and these are folks that had good training.

My hand is on the slightly smaller than average size..but certainly not small.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: My442
Originally Posted By: PW01
Has anybody done the Apex trigger upgrade?

yes, and well worth it.

The trigger pull is much netter.

Did you just do the trigger or the whole kit? What was the cost to have it done?

Originally Posted By: hatt
I left the 642 at home and carried the Shield today. I'm going to start carrying it more. 5 plus a speed strip doesn't should as good as 8 plus 8 reload.
Been shooting lots of people lately?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Perhaps you should stay away from thisforum area.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Haven't had to shoot anyone lately but if I do I want to shoot them enough.

You don't watch the news? I carried a snubby revolver for a decade. These days, I don't think its enough, and I carry a semi-auto that holds more rounds and a spare magazine or two.

You don't watch the news? I carried a snubby revolver for a decade. These days, I don't think its enough, and I carry a semi-auto that holds more rounds and a spare magazine or two.

Haven't you heard? Less ammo will get you into less trouble. Don't forget..... Every shot you take is a potential law suit.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back