Smelly A/C in F150

My 11 F150 has a sweet "phenol" type smell when you turn on the A/C. Much more pungent than PAG oil. I am not driving the truck for some repairs (so no A/C moisture) and if I go down everyday and turn the fan on it is there. After about 2 minutes, it is much weaker.

I did try some generic "lysol" thru the intake, but it did not really help (will try the real thing soon). This seems to be a common problem online, and can reoccur even with a new Ford Part. I did not hook manifolds up yet to check for leaks.

I also read the aftermarket Evaporators don't fit right. Anyone have experience with this? Seems in some cases it is a leak, in others just severe mildew building on an Evap with a bad coating.

I / we installed many aftermarket evaporators and heaters at the shop I used to work at. Occasionally we got one that didn't quite fit exact but just a little bit of plastic trimming and it went right in

Agree on the cleaner, I usually do it when I get a new car.. Fixed a many odor on early 2000 vehicles that way, always by mold build up from inadequate condensation drain flow.

And yes on my F-150s evap box with musty odors.

Back