Smart Stop Start - How does it work?

wwillson

Staff member
Smart Stop Start is a Engine Stop Start (ESS) defeater. Instead of interfacing with the disable button, it connects to the battery of the vehicle. Does anyone know how this works?

Looks like they have a few variants depending upon model.

The one for GMs that connects to the battery also plugs inline with the battery maintainer/maintenance(?) system (BMS). I would imagine it is consistency telling the PCM... battery is low pal keep on to charge, as that systems monitor is separate from PCM voltage.

Then it looks like there's another one that plugs into OBD.

Wish every manufacturer was as easy as it was to disable like Fords with ForScan.

I can attest they work well. I have one on a ‘21 Traverse, which does not have an override button.

Smart Stop Start is a Engine Stop Start (ESS) defeater. Instead of interfacing with the disable button, it connects to the battery of the vehicle. Does anyone know how this works?

On my 2018 F-150 the service manager pointed out a wire that ran to the battery, He pointed at the wire but would not touch . It did disable the start/stop. What else was disabled? Who knows

On my 2018 F-150 the service manager pointed out a wire that ran to the battery, He pointed at the wire but would not touch . It did disable the start/stop. What else was disabled? Who knows
the battery monitor system, its basically always charging the battery now. the system is designed to adjust the load on the alternator based on the battery charge state.

the battery monitor system, its basically always charging the battery now. the system is designed to adjust the load on the alternator based on the battery charge state.
got rid of that recall queen 2.5 years ago.

Does it connect to the battery? never seen one that did. You would need to give us more info such as what vehicle its going on.
Not sure how plugging into the battery would make the button remember its last setting (the A/S/S button)

Many plug in somewhere in the cabin
on my forester it plugs into the harness under the driver seat if you have RAB option.

The one you linked might plug into the OBD port depending on year and model.

Last edited:
Back