Small fuel filter on differential breather tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an idea.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/polished-aluminum-inline-fuel-filter,1670.html
Take that, and take a hose clamp and attach it to the tailpipe.
If water somehow freezes on the element, the exhaust pipe will warm it up and defrost it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
For those that say "potentially harmful", in addition to useless.

How could it be harmful in any way, shape, or form ?

I had a plugged transmission vent that pushes ATF out of the transmission , leaving a puddle in the garage. I imagine if this is ignored it could damage the transmission.

I just zip tied a piece of shop rag on mine. My biggest concern is spiders since I regularly work in forested areas.

Last time my rear tube seals [censored] oil I found out that a spider decided to crawl in, make a cocoon, and die. He made himself quite the little fortress, vent tube was completely clogged.

I used my old vent tube/check valve as a shim/spacer for a brass coupler (so it would fit solidly into the vent tube hole in the top of the pumpkin), onto which I put a 2 foot section of clear tubing, and installed another stock check valve/tube into the end of that, fastened by a stainless steel worm clamp.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Obviously harmful if it gets wet and then freezes, and stops breathing. Then, seals can leak because of increased pressure.

But won't the jingling of bells from Santa's reindeer shake the ice free ?

I would imaging that under that scenario, the airfilter is iced over too, and unable to provide the motive power to get the compartments warm enough for the air to expand...

Shannow -
The air filter picks up at at different place than the much smaller and lower trans breather. They are totally separate and disparate systems. Just because the word 'filter' is used should not confuse you this much.
Get it wet splashed down there [or snow or ice], and if it is a good Chicago type winter, it can most certainly freeze up.
Like I said, an extension is all that I would consider modifying.

Anybody -
BTW, this is not a place for a check valve - it has to breath BOTH ways.

Outta here!...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back