Small Coolant Leak @ Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sled has a small coolant leak on the passenger side oil cooler line fitting just a bit below the upper coolant hose. It appears to be weeping from the joint with the end tank.

Indy said to use Bar's Leaks Radiator Stop Leak Concentrate. I used about half a bottle. It leaked less for awhile, then began leaking more. However it's still a SMALL leak. I keep a regular eye on it as the hood is opened every day in the evening to dump the heat. I add about half-a-cup once a week.

I've heard some talk about the tablets rather than the liquid. Are they preferred?

Thought I had that problem on my 98, but it was the radiator hose connection weeping and simply appeared to be the oil cooler fitting directly below. Had to use fine sandpaper to smooth a moulding defect in the hose nipple and use two clamps to stop the weep.

If it is the fitting itself, try tightening it a little, since I noticed the fittings were slightly loose when I replaced oil cooler lines. No leaks in my case, but I could rotate them by hand.

Personally I'd avoid stop leak additives - they may do more to clog the coolant passages, radiator, and heater core than actually stop the leak.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Thought I had that problem on my 98, but it was the radiator hose connection weeping and simply appeared to be the oil cooler fitting directly below.
Not the radiator hose. I verified the leak location with an inspection mirror.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The plastic tank is cracked. They all crack there. No stop leak will work on plastic
OK. That explains it. I think that radiator is ~ 10yrs old. I'd have to check my records. It replaced the original.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
The plastic tank is cracked. They all crack there. No stop leak will work on plastic
OK. That explains it. I think that radiator is ~ 10yrs old. I'd have to check my records. It replaced the original.

Probably time for replacement. I think we got maybe 12 years from the original radiator in my car before the end tank started leaking where it meets the core. Just an item that will eventually fail from so much heat cycles and pressure. Only other option that would last longer is probably an expensive all metal performance radiator.
21.gif

the high temperature nylon end tanks that are "sealed" + crimped on are a poor money saving design!! girlfriends 50 thou mile 13 malibu got a needed new radiator, they are cheaper than the labor to install unless you are a DIYer!!! the fittings for tranny cooling used today are [censored] as well!!!!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Do you remember where you got it? Sometimes they have flfierime warranties.

I would also take a close look at a motor mount which may have caused the engine to rock and tugging on that upper hose.

I had to replace both my radiators at 12 years like clockwork. The GXP leaked where the tank and the core are connected but the Dodge blew out with a big crack in the plastic tank. Fortunately it was at home after I turned the engine off. Sprayed all over the front through the grill. Lifetime warranty now and replace at 10 or 11 years for me. Both went in Summer. Never liked plastic tanks for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back