Small chuckle from student driver

I remember the late 60's when a knew a grocery bagger that earned enough to buy a new $3k Plymouth Roadrunner. I bought a 70 Toyota corolla for $2400 which wasn't much cheaper, but a fun car. I was noticing the failing of US cars in especially rust control, and have always done something different. I had a nice 97 Dodge stratus with 94k miles, but in great condition and sold in about 2010 for only $2600. The $500 beater that runs for years is done for sure.
Well there is inflation, probably more like 2-3k is the new $500 beater car. And inflation hasn't kept up with minimum wage. Plus I think with cars that have airbags, ABS, backup cameras, side impact and other safety measures, the old $500 beaters didn't really have much of that so it was of course cheaper to make back then too.

Also there's still Craigslist. Plus even though most are dealers, you can still use the major sites like Cars.com, Autotrader, Cargurus etc. Plus some of the large used car dealer lots used to have pretty competitive prices with private sales, but not sure if that's true anymore.

This just in (July 3rd)
The lad's grandma's neighbor is likely selling her cared for 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis w/98,000.
My charger is on the car right now. We'll turn the key tomorrow. Can't wait.
May 2016 State Inspection sticker. Looks like it's been moved about to clear their other car and snow.
Tires look good though.
I was honest with the old lady when I told her I didn't know the value of the car.

It fired right up.....not bad for a car the owner of which couldn't recall the last time it was run.

The windshield wiper blades were the most crumbled I've ever seen.
The engine bay is dusty/dirty. The coolant smells just like "rubber parts" not exhaust but looks ancient. The accessory end of the engine sounded good and quiet.
The interior has no leaks so no smell (I was so expecting some). Good, clean dry trunk too.
Brakes good, shocks nonexistent.
The AC needs a recharge at the very least.

Ha, the only "ugliness" are the 'carriage lights' on the roof pillar. One lens is opaque cream and the other is missing. If the lad gets the car he'll be shown how to mask things. I'll use black plastic or yellow lens scraps. He can research replacement gingerbread all he wants.

Kelley says the 22 year old in the VG shape I claimed could bring $1,900 to $4,000. This fits perfectly with everyone's budget.

I know this is of little interest to you all here but it's a milestone for the lad.

The best chance is excessive high mile 200k+ vehicle owned by a friend or worker of family and maintained. Happened a few times for daughter friends and they are driving old V70, Lexus and a Camry.
i know of a 500k+ Toyota that's been well maintained.....;)

It fired right up.....not bad for a car the owner of which couldn't recall the last time it was run.

The windshield wiper blades were the most crumbled I've ever seen.
The engine bay is dusty/dirty. The coolant smells just like "rubber parts" not exhaust but looks ancient. The accessory end of the engine sounded good and quiet.
The interior has no leaks so no smell (I was so expecting some). Good, clean dry trunk too.
Brakes good, shocks nonexistent.
The AC needs a recharge at the very least.

Ha, the only "ugliness" are the 'carriage lights' on the roof pillar. One lens is opaque cream and the other is missing. If the lad gets the car he'll be shown how to mask things. I'll use black plastic or yellow lens scraps. He can research replacement gingerbread all he wants.

Kelley says the 22 year old in the VG shape I claimed could bring $1,900 to $4,000. This fits perfectly with everyone's budget.

I know this is of little interest to you all here but it's a milestone for the lad.

A lot of people on here like those cars :D

Maybe you can tell the kid about BITOG ;)

I will!

Today it flunked NJ state inspection due to not readiness. The thing's been idle for sure.
A rear 3157 went out and a new 4157 I had on hand remedied the rapid flash (remember those?)
I glued 2 thin weather strips on the front headlight lenses and filled the spare, which was at 5 psi. I set the street tires at 36.
This tank soooooo needs shocks.

Friendly daughter handed me a C-note for supplies.

22" wiper blades.....no washer pump action.....notchy power steering.....gotta get a can of 134......what else would anyone ask for?

Do some flushes of that power steering and check the front end for grease zerks and looseness.

I had a 97 MGM and its OBD opinion of itself was flawless. I think Ford has generally been good about that.

I will!

Today it flunked NJ state inspection due to not readiness. The thing's been idle for sure.
A rear 3157 went out and a new 4157 I had on hand remedied the rapid flash (remember those?)
I glued 2 thin weather strips on the front headlight lenses and filled the spare, which was at 5 psi. I set the street tires at 36.
This tank soooooo needs shocks.

Friendly daughter handed me a C-note for supplies.

22" wiper blades.....no washer pump action.....notchy power steering.....gotta get a can of 134......what else would anyone ask for?

Since it's a 2000, you can have up to 2 monitors be not ready and still pass.

Also, if the transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one.

Last edited:
I ran her up and down Rt. 208 doing errands but getting her -and keeping her- at or over 50 mph.
She passed inspection yesterday and was dutifully returned to the owner.

After one last strafe of the immediate family for a taker the kid likely will get it.
However, with good inspection, I wouldn't be surprised if one of her sons doesn't take it to sell it.

We shall see.

With that low budget, if the A/C problem is something other than a recharge he may have to ride with the windows down when it is warm out.

Back