Sludged 2010 Cobalt 2.2 making noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder if it's a good thing, or a bad thing, that this took place in a warm climate. Maybe it would've been brought to someone's attention at a much earlier mileage if cold temperatures would've been at play here. Or, maybe more damage would've been done. Who knows.

A girl I went to high school with got a 1989 Grand Am 2.3 for graduation, and never changed the oil. At around 24,000 miles, I see it being towed into the shop (I worked in the Parts Dept of a Pontiac dealership - the only one in town). It turned over, but wouldn't start. It was about 10 degrees outside.

They pull the dipstick. Nothing but sludge stuck to it. Peeked down inside the valve cover, and between the crud accumulated on the cap, and what they could see down inside, the light bulbs started to turn on. Pulled the drain plug. Nothing. We found no dealership records of any maintenance having been done there. She later admitted that she didn't know the oil needed to be changed.

They pulled the pan, and what little oil was in it was the consistency of pudding. I watched them scoop it out with a large cooking spoon, as it would not pour out.

Here's the kicker: GM warrantied her engine replacement.

Talk about a cat that lands on its feet. She should have to take the bus.

Just came across this thread. Wow. Total Craziness how this vehicle went so long without anyone even popping the hood to check the dipstick after a FEW YEARS of "I don't remember when the last oil change was".
33.gif

Valve cover removal / pics would have been epic to see and then compare the progress, if any, from the attempted chemical cleanup attempt.

Good call on the monthly oil changes. I wouldn't run it any further while doing the cleanup. Who knows how much random chunks might come off and clog the filter, etc or just end up being circulated thru the engine over and over. Best to flush it out frequently, just to be safe and add fresh oil / cleaning agents to continue cleaning.

Subscribed for updates.

My guess is, it runs just fine for a long time. If it still ran on that GREASE for so long, I can't imagine it will now call it quits on actual OIL. HAHAHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back