Sludge concerns

I change every 6 months in Grand Caravan and 5k in Impala. The Impala never had anything but Pennzoil Platinum or Gold since 30k. At 145k or there about the engine is spotless. My mother refuses any other maintanance. Plugs are still original. Impala is 3.6 is Direct injection

Originally Posted by otis24
Originally Posted by supton
You can pull a valve cover, that'd be best, although I wonder if those newer endoscopes would work well enough.

Full synthetic, not sure if I would worry too much. Based on a number of photos here, I wouldn't worry much about it, not at your miles. If you're not short tripping then I am dubious about problems.

Unfortunately, the vehicle sees lots of short tripping. Live in a small town. When we go "out of town" it is 75 miles minimum.

I think this is the reason right here. Combine the short trips with the cold weather and it's a recipe for sludge. Shorter oci schedules might be the best way forward since longer drives are not in the cards.

Being a 2012, if you're going to follow the OLM, that means using a Dexos approved oil. I have a similar issue with the '11 Express 6.0 in my sig-stupid quick lube used cheap bulk dino & filters & the PO followed the OLM, leading to sludge (and I'm hoping not a worn out oil pump or somewaht plugged oil pickup, pressure is a little low).

When I drove my Ford down to the 6% level on the IOLM and had the oil analyzed at 9.2k miles, it was about shot. The wear numbers were excellent, however. I can't complain because the IOLM was dead-on accurate. But there was about zero room for error.

I dialed it back from changing at 20% remaining (8k miles) to 25% remaining since then. 7.5k is reasonable, at least for me.

I should say that I am also a short-tripper. I'd say that the Motorcraft Oil simply handled it more than the IOLM compensated for my driving pattern.

I'd say run it down to 7-8k miles, UOA and see if you like the numbers rather than blindly following the advice of the people who are trying to sell you something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by otis24
My coworker has a 2012 Buick Enclave with approximately 142k miles. She had to have new cam sensors installed. While it was in, the dealership noticed that it was severely sludged in the timing chain. They replaced the timing chain and changed the oil while they had it in. She did oil changes based on the Oil Life Monitor. Dealership told her to change the oil every 4k miles and ignore the OLM or switch to full synthetic and go about 6k miles.

I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. I use full synthetic and go by the OLM. Based upon the OLM, I usually go about 10k miles before changing oil. I'm concerned about the possibility of sludge.

Recommendations?

Change very 5K and look for thick discharge when emptying.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
When I drove my Ford down to the 6% level on the IOLM and had the oil analyzed at 9.2k miles, it was about shot. The wear numbers were excellent, however. I can't complain because the IOLM was dead-on accurate. But there was about zero room for error.

I dialed it back from changing at 20% remaining (8k miles) to 25% remaining since then. 7.5k is reasonable, at least for me.

I should say that I am also a short-tripper. I'd say that the Motorcraft Oil simply handled it more than the IOLM compensated for my driving pattern.

I'd say run it down to 7-8k miles, UOA and see if you like the numbers rather than blindly following the advice of the people who are trying to sell you something.

Switch from MC to M1 and you will see a nice difference.

The GM 3.6L is DI & beats the snot out of oil, The GM 2.4L DI does the same. Everyone of these engine I've ever opened up looked at the very least "charred".

OP said the oil was changed at the dealership...the dealership should be able to tell and if so should have updated the OLM parameters by now...10K mile oil changes seem high and my vehicles have been GM for more than 20 years now...usually changed at the 10% shown on the OLMs or around 5K miles with more City driving than Highway...

Bill

Greetings-
Interesting topic. Easy to understand BITOG recommendations to go with synthetic oil. However, there is a video of an recent interview (posted on this forum) of a Blackstone Labs manager by a Saab forum moderator where he states there is no difference between "conventional" oil and "synthetic" in engine longevity. Since this is based on analysis of many 1000's of oil samples, does his opinion have validity regarding these oils?

Originally Posted by willbur
Greetings-
Interesting topic. Easy to understand BITOG recommendations to go with synthetic oil. However, there is a video of an recent interview (posted on this forum) of a Blackstone Labs manager by a Saab forum moderator where he states there is no difference between "conventional" oil and "synthetic" in engine longevity. Since this is based on analysis of many 1000's of oil samples, does his opinion have validity regarding these oils?

I suspect context is missing. There is no difference when you're following an appropriate change interval for the oil choice. On a 3k or perhaps 5k oci you'll see no wear difference between a synthetic and a conventional. The price premium for synthetic is with regards time/miles in use. Synthetic can go much longer before it needs to be changed. That's the point of synthetics. They're designed for long drain intervals.

Engine longevity is somewhat of a catch all term. What does that even mean? Does that mean without having to perform any repairs on the engine aside from gaskets and non-lubricant related components OR does that mean until all compression is lost or the bearings go out?.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Greetings-

I suspect context is missing. There is no difference when you're following an appropriate change interval for the oil choice. On a 3k or perhaps 5k oci you'll see no wear difference between a synthetic and a conventional. The price premium for synthetic is with regards time/miles in use. Synthetic can go much longer before it needs to be changed. That's the point of synthetics. They're designed for long drain intervals.

Engine longevity is somewhat of a catch all term. What does that even mean? Does that mean without having to perform any repairs on the engine aside from gaskets and non-lubricant related components OR does that mean until all compression is lost or the bearings go out?.

He was referring to wear metals, I believe. Gotta dig up that video and see what else

To clarify, my friend's car is the 2012 Buick Enclave. She did oil changes at Walmart. Not sure how many miles she did on OCI. She went by OLM. Her's is the sludged engine.

Mine is the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. Bought it with 28k on the odometer in 2017. I've used synthetic since I purchased it. I've used NAPA full synthetic, Maxlife full synthetic, and currently Pennzoil Platinum. Will probably switch to Havoline Full synthetic next, just because mine takes 6 quarts and the 6 quarts ecobox is economical. Everyone else has 5 quart jugs and I always have to purchase an extra quart. I did do an analysis free curtousey of Pennzoil when I first got the vehicle. But that was mostly warmer temps and the oil held up well.

Ok, I just looked up my oil analysis from 2017. It was using SuperTech 5W/20 Full Synthetic. It had 10k miles on the oil. Wear was in the average range for this vehicle and all oil properties were within the universal averages. The recommendation from Black Stone was to go 12k miles but not to exceed manufacturer's recommendations (OLM or 1 year, which ever occurs first). TBN was 1.7.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
When I drove my Ford down to the 6% level on the IOLM and had the oil analyzed at 9.2k miles, it was about shot. The wear numbers were excellent, however.

The thing is, UOA results do not track wear rates. So that can give a false sense of security.

Greetings-

If so, how about 3 times the oil and filter changes?

Synthetics last longer
Synthetics keep engines cleaner
Synthetics protect engines better in extreme cold and hot weather.

But hey, you seem to have already talked yourself in sticking with conventional. So enjoy and hope it works out well for you.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Synthetics last longer
Synthetics keep engines cleaner
Synthetics protect engines better in extreme cold and hot weather.

But hey, you seem to have already talked yourself in sticking with conventional. So enjoy and hope it works out well for you.

But hey- you're funny.
I don't see how you assume I talked myself into using conventional. I simply asked a question. And what ppl thought of the Blackstone assertion. I use synthetic. It seems you are making claims about synthetic and talked yourself into using it. The Blackstone guy is basing his opinion on the results of 10000's of oil analyses while you just have an opinion.
There once was a GM powertrain engineer that(banned on this forum) was very familiar with lubrication of high performance engines. He claimed synthetic was really only necessary if oil temp exceeded 305f or for cold starting.
Now go and check out the latest oil bottles at WM

I have been changing my oils at 10000 mile intervals for 17 years using Mobil 1. The vehicles are in the normal service category. All the motors are extremely clean and use very little oil between the changes. I keep my vehicles for as long as possible and maintenance is important.

Back