Sloppy wax job fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some suggestions. I bought a used pickup from a guy that had his kids wax it before he put it up for sale.
The kids had been sloppy, and had gotten the wax onto some black plastic trim & rubber pieces that won't buff out, such as the rubber weatherstrip around the windshield and the rough textured plastic side mouldings, etc. So now I have some ugly white swirl marks that I can't get out. Any suggestions??

Ronnie

Oooh, this might be tough to fix. Older weatherstripping and trim that has gotten rough with wear can really hold on to white wax/polish residue tightly. Try peanut butter (basically it's the oil that does it), or a bug and tar remover (basically the solvent). Hopefully one of those will work.

A silicone spray lubricant, it has worked for me in the past. BUT test it on a small area first to be sure no damage will occur before going at it on a large scale.

Carefull with harsh solvents on rubber, it can damage it.

[ October 12, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Peanut butter on the plastic should work. But even better, use peanut oil. I've used it to successfully remove the wax from black plastic on my passat. But make sure you don't get it on the paint or it will take off the wax.

turtle wax "black chrome". put it on with a toothbrush. it has black dye in it so it turns even the more faded plastic back to black. works like a charm on "waxed plastic" trim
crushedcar.gif

I've had great luck with the big, white Sanford erasers that you can find in any store's stationary aisle. I've tried the peanut butter route, its alittle messy, and I always end up eating more of it than using it on the trim
grin.gif

all of those are great ideas, i use them, but I found a new one, using eagle one A2Z rim an tire cleaner, with a toothbrush, takes it right off, doesnt damage the paint.... found the idea from autopia.org

I see there are several things you can use to remove the wax from places you don't want it, but how do you keep it from getting in little nicks in the clearcoat in the first place? My car has several little chips that are totally unnoticable because they don't even go all the way through the clearcoat, but when I wax the car it becomes really obvious. Using something to remove the wax would just remove all the wax from the front of the car. Is there something to smooth it out to keep it from getting in there in the first place? I had originally thought that this is what a clay bar is for, but apparently it only removes small pieces of things on the paint, it doesn't fill in small chips.

Sorry for the double-post, but my question seems much more appropriate in this thread.

Not a lot you can do for nicks. Either A) Touchup paint, or B) *Careful* wetsanding to round them out so they don't trap wax anymore. That's all that comes to mind at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back