Slightly different engine sizes for different markets?

For a while, I've noticed that the same engines we get here in America are (unsurprisingly) often used in other markets as well, but sometimes with virtually no differences other than slightly different displacements of as little as 0.1 litres.

For example, here in America, excluding hybrid and SI models, all 2001-2005 Honda Civics come with a 1.7L engine. However, in other markets such as Asia and Europe, those same Civics use the same engines but with slightly different stroke lengths resulting in slightly differing displacements of 1.4L, 1.5L, 1.6L, and 1.7L.

In Japan, the same generation of Civics comes with either a 1.5L engine or a 1.7L engine, both making within a few HP of eachother. In Europe, a 1.6L version of the same engine is available with almost identical performance to the 1.5L and 1.7L variants.

I understand that the smaller variants of these engines are likely more fuel efficient but surely such a small change in displacement isn't going to result in much of an improvement. I tried to find fuel efficiency ratings to prove this, but doing so proved very difficult due to differences in test procedures and such.

Does anyone have theories or ideas on why manufacturers bother creating several variants of the same engines just to change the displacement a tiny bit? I have seem this many times and have always wondered why.

It's ridiculously expensive to certify a powertrain for the US EPA/CAFE but less so for other parts of the world. The lack of engine choice you see in the US is not reflected elsewhere.

It's ridiculously expensive to certify a powertrain for the US EPA/CAFE but less so for other parts of the world.
I can't remember specifics but some countries take approval by another country as good enough for them too. For example, country "A" has regulations that if a vehicle passes the US EPA's requirements, it's acceptable in their country.

Usually a bigger engine in the US I think. The Fit/Jazz has the L13 as standard and the L15 as an option in most of the world...I think the US Fit has the L15 ?

Usually a bigger engine in the US I think. The Fit/Jazz has the L13 as standard and the L15 as an option in most of the world...I think the US Fit has the L15 ?
I can't think of any examples of vehicles that get a larger engine outside the US than what's available here, it seems to almost always be the opposite.

Yup the USDM Fit gets the L15, never heard of an L13 before today.

I can't think of any examples of vehicles that get a larger engine outside the US than what's available here, it seems to almost always be the opposite.

It happened in the 80's. I know Honda for sure was selling a 698cc version of several motorcycles when the rest of the world got 750cc's

In the early 1980s, Harley-Davidson petitioned the USITC, saying that Japanese manufacturers were importing motorcycles into the US in such volume as to harm or threaten to harm domestic producers.[2] The USITC agreed and recommend to President Reagan impose a 45% tariff on imported motorcycles with engine capacities greater than 700 cc (43 cu in). Regan signed a memorandum ordering the tariff on April 1, 1983, and signed Presidential Proclamation 5050 on April 15, enacting 97 Stat. 1574 to the United States Code.[3]

That makes no sense to me at all. I'm not going for consumers in other countries needing, or even wanting, a difference of a tenth of a liter in engines to choose from. I'm going to stick with the simplest answer - mfg's are just morons.

There are L12, L13 and L15 engines. The L13 is by far the most common, although am working in a Mugen Fit with a L15 VTECH engine at work, same as in my Airwave. The US might get the L15 i-DSI.

Malaysia Roadtax
A Proton Saga
1643939990370.jpg

A Toyota Corolla
1643940015131.jpg

A Toyota Corona
1643940038044.jpg

A Toyota Camry
1643940060605.jpg

A Toyota Chaser
1643940087646.jpg

A Toyota Crown
1643940110576.jpg

A Pontiac Firebird/ Trans Am
1643940131936.jpg

Now you know why I never bought that Trans Am...

Malaysia Roadtax
A Proton Saga
View attachment 87457
A Toyota Corolla
View attachment 87458
A Toyota Corona
View attachment 87459
A Toyota Camry
View attachment 87460
A Toyota Chaser
View attachment 87461
A Toyota Crown
View attachment 87462
A Pontiac Firebird/ Trans Am
View attachment 87463
Now you know why I never bought that Trans Am...

Forced induction isn't a factor? I get that a turbo with roughly the same power output is likely smaller displacement and more efficient than naturally aspirated, but compared to naturally aspirated of the same displacement, a turbo will be less efficient.

Forced induction isn't a factor? I get that a turbo with roughly the same power output is likely smaller displacement and more efficient than naturally aspirated, but compared to naturally aspirated of the same displacement, a turbo will be less efficient.
Nope, purely based on cc. This was drafted like in the 1960s. The so called logic then was high capacity engines only belong in luxury cars so those people could afford the tax...

Back