Slight LED flicker when heat pump comes on

My house has LED bulbs throughout. When the heat pump comes on there is a instantaneous flicker. Is there any gadget that can be attached to eliminate this. So far a google search has not come up with anything. Thanks.

Is the unit properly grounded to the breaker box in the house and is the ground bar properly grounded to a water pipe?

Is that leg of the breaker box loaded heavier than the other side or are both legs properly balanced?

If it’s just the initial “flicker” it’s just from the large in rush current. If it continues to “pulse” then I would look into what I mentioned in the first part of my post.

Last edited:
The inrush current (primarily the compressor) is the cause. There are "soft-start" devices that reduce it substantially. They are supposed to help with longevity as well. People with solar setups often use them, as well as those who need to rely on generator power (because of the high inrush current).

Just search "soft start kit". (They aren't cheap).

I have two LED bulbs in the bathroom that blink off when the exhaust fan is turned off. Three overhead LED bulbs aren't affected. The two that blink off are rated for dimmer control while the others aren't. I'm not using them on a dimmer, they are just rated for that. It might just be the brand of bulbs you are using. Some are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations than others than others.

Some LEDs are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. The way around this is a higher quality or dimmable bulbs.
Not saying 100% this is your case but it is a likely one or is an indication of a greater than normal voltage drop.

More or less look at the LED bulbs as a gauge/instrument that indicates when a voltage drop occurs. If it is normal and expected drop it is most likely the bulbs are too sensitive and you need better ones. Regular bulbs used to slightly dim on a voltage drop, non dimmable LEDs will cut out and back on rapidly. Dimmable LEDs should behave more like traditional a slight if even noticeable dimming instead of cutting out and on rapidly.

Last edited:
Back