LED Bulb Flicker

An LED will flicker when a heavy load is turned on. Incandescent bulbs have a much wider range of allowable voltage than LED so it’s not an issue with them. We have wafer lights that are notorious for this.

If it’s just a randomly flickering without something big turning on, I’m guessing they are about to go out or the socket is bad.

I've never had a problem, and I have used multiple brands.
I have 2 16 watt LED daylights running in my room, and I don't notice any flickering, but I might not be sensitive to it.

Great info. Thanks
This one had like under 250 hours on it and was a Sunbeam and the other was fresh that replaced it and it is a Philips... The new one really messed up my eyes.
I do have some Feits I can try...
hey no problem.. it's funny, the no-names just went bad on me two days ago! And here you were posting this. Good timing! Yup the sunbeam is a no-name, but who knows if Philips is really making it themselves or just slapping their name on it. I know I got some eco smart (I think that's Home Depot's house brand) that were flickering brand new! I'm starting to wonder with all the supply chain issues if the manufacturers haven't gone back to the cheaper (low quality) power supplies in these bulbs. I haven't seen this level of flickering in a long time, around 2013 is the last time I saw this type of issue.

Ya let's see how the Feit's do. The other thing to be aware of.. LED's even if they say they're "dimmable" are only dimmable with an LED dimmer switch. Yup it's a thing. If you use a regular tungsten dimmer with a dimmable LED it will destroy it.. ask me how I know! lol 🤪 Learned the hard way on that one! But if it's just a normal on-off switch it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Long ago I had some of those all plastic ones from Ebay...
They had a sq. Circuit board in the plastic dome and when they failed the dome would blow off... Real junk.
That is exactly what happened to the no-names I just got rid of! Plus the ceramic sides (heat sink) cracked in half. It's a wonder there aren't any fires with these things! or am I just lucky?

I don't know but that is worrisome to me. I never had a fire but makes you think.
I lived in an apartment building while in college that caught fire due to an electrical problem. I literally saw the painted drywall turn black and then watched the drywall paper ignite. We all got out ok, and the power was cut before the whole place became engulfed......not fun. I was instantly homeless, and found refuge with some coeds who took me in for a few weeks......that is another story for another time.

Back