Skyactiv Intake Valve Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how, if this is such a huge issue, that no one, anywhere in that forum thread, has pictures of the intake valves on a higher mileage SkyActiv engine than what the initial Vendor post contained, that shows if higher mileage examples have greater deposits on them than that practically brand new car.

Makes me tempted to go out, pop off the intake manifold, and see if the 2.5 engine has any deposits on it after 37k miles.

BC.

I personally won't be removing my intake manifold unless the seals leak, or until it's time to change/clean the PCV valve. Apparently you can't access it with the manifold in place.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I like how, if this is such a huge issue, that no one, anywhere in that forum thread, has pictures of the intake valves on a higher mileage SkyActiv engine than what the initial Vendor post contained, that shows if higher mileage examples have greater deposits on them than that practically brand new car.

Makes me tempted to go out, pop off the intake manifold, and see if the 2.5 engine has any deposits on it after 37k miles.

BC.

Not only that, but there are zero pictures posted of the intakes with cars equipped with this vendor's catch can. It's pretty obvious that the vendor is only interested in selling his overpriced vans and not in solving the real issue.
Unfortunately I notice this type of behavior on a lot of car specific forums. Some won't even allow discussions on products that are not sponsors.

Last edited:
I recall reading material from a link posted on here some time ago.

Skyactiv

This paragraph is on page 6 of the narrative.

Quote:
To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation.

I doubted from the start that this cold totally eliminate valve deposits. Maybe it prevents them from getting beyond a certain level of severity? Who knows?

Well, I'm a fan of Oil Catch Cans as part of a PCV system in the first place, so, given the evidence provided in the OP and elsewhere, the only thing that changes for me would be the installation on a new showroom stock engine rather than as part of a general modification path and plan on a used vehicle.

PVC-source intake oil fouling is not new ... for example it's a known issue with the 5.2/5.9 litre Dodge Magnum engines fitted to mid-90's and up Dodge RAM trucks, and that's a Throttle Body Fuel Injection system motor.

So, in some ways, nothing new or unique, save for the issue persisting with a more modern and precise FI design.

Those valves look fine.

None EGR diesels never have build up on the valves, why would gas engines once they sort it out.

I'm sure their are thousands of those Mazda's happily running fine with nothing more than a Jiffy Lube stop every once in awhile.

Mine still looks like cylinder 1 in those pictures in all 4 but I use premium exclusively and make sure to burn off the deposits regularly (every 5k miles).

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Induction cleaning service should take care of that, right? Cleaner coming in with the air and not fuel since the fuel never passes over the valves?

No, induction cleaners to this point have shown no ability to touch hard deposits, only soft ones.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Within that link, the presenter, who calls himself, James from JamesBaroneRacing.xxx, is selling catch cans. This is advertising, Nothing more.

Two things i have a problem with, one being the amount of deposits at under 5k miles, and two, what "typical soccer mom" goes out looking to install a catch can?

Originally Posted By: JamesBaroneRacing.xxx

"Recently, we had a customer bring their 2014 Mazda 3, 2.0L to us to install an oil catch can kit..."

"The customer who brought the car to us was your typical soccer Mom..."

This is also correct. No engine has shown that after 5k miles.

Interesting that Mazda seemingly doesn't have a problem with the deposits--while VW&Audi did? Maybe the deposits ruined whatever swirl effect the income air has, while Mazda doesn't lose the swirl effect? I wonder if piston design comes into play here, something in the combustion chamber that Mazda does but not VW/Audi.

Assuming Mazda does have intake deposits, that is. That seems to be... unproven, as pointed out.

Originally Posted By: supton
Interesting that Mazda seemingly doesn't have a problem with the deposits--while VW&Audi did? Maybe the deposits ruined whatever swirl effect the income air has, while Mazda doesn't lose the swirl effect? I wonder if piston design comes into play here, something in the combustion chamber that Mazda does but not VW/Audi.

Assuming Mazda does have intake deposits, that is. That seems to be... unproven, as pointed out.

Mazda did a few things different from VW/audi. Most notably, they keep the intake valves at higher temperatures to prevent the PCV vapor from condensing on the valves.

I suspect the valve deposits in that Mazda reach a certain (harmless) level then stop growing, so they look about the same at 50K miles as they do at 5K.

I agree with KrisZ, that this issue is overblown. I had a MAZDA CX7 with DI and sold it with ~ 80,000 miles running like new and it didn't have the latest technology that Mazda now uses to keep the intakes clean. I am not concerned about this past issue that some German engines had or have. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back