Skyactiv Intake Valve Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

coffee2.gif

I've put 27k miles on mine in the one year that I've had it. Do I keep it over the long run?

Quote:
Recently, we had a customer bring their 2014 Mazda 3, 2.0L to us to install an oil catch can kit and to perform its very first oil change. With the car being so new, we asked if it would be OK to have a look inside at the current condition of the valves and document our findings. The car wasn't to be picked up until the following day so we were given the go ahead. With only 4462 miles on it, wait until you see what we found!

Originally Posted By: buster
Do I keep it over the long run?

And if you don't, what will you replace it with? Most new engines are DI and will likely suffer from the same issue.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Do you use only Top Tier fuel? And/or maintenance or periodic dose of PEA fuel additives?

I do.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: buster
Do I keep it over the long run?

And if you don't, what will you replace it with? Most new engines are DI and will likely suffer from the same issue.

True lol

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Do you use only Top Tier fuel? And/or maintenance or periodic dose of PEA fuel additives?

This. I'd use BG44K before every oil change.

Hmmm...
Can I just check something? Is this engine using direct injection or PFI?
Regardless of the answer there does appear to be something of an issue here. I thought the picture of the gunk collected in the catch can was particularly telling in the fact that it separated into oil, fuel and water layers. If you've read some of the stuff I've put on BITOG, you will know I've been saying that it's the presence of fuel and water in the sump that driving what would otherwise be non-volatile oil around the system.
Okay, so oil wise, get something low Noack. That Pennzoil GTL 10W30 with a 4% Noack that was on the forum a few weeks back would be good. Avoid Dino 5W30 like the plague and go full synthetic 5W20.
Regarding the keep or sell-on question, that's a tricky one. The big risk with oil getting past the PCV valve is not inlet valve deposits but the oil getting burnt in the cylinder and creating deposits which over time migrate down the pistons and stick an oil ring. If this happens, oil consumption will go through the roof. Although I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure this was the root cause of the well publicised Audi 2.0L TFSI problems of a few years back.
Or you could get a catch can fitted. This answer always seems to get peoples backs up but if you fit it, and it does trap gunk that gets through the PCV valve, then it's effectively curing any long-term risk of ring stick.
Hope this helps...

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
Hmmm...
Can I just check something? Is this engine using direct injection or PFI?
Regardless of the answer there does appear to be something of an issue here. I thought the picture of the gunk collected in the catch can was particularly telling in the fact that it separated into oil, fuel and water layers. If you've read some of the stuff I've put on BITOG, you will know I've been saying that it's the presence of fuel and water in the sump that driving what would otherwise be non-volatile oil around the system.
Okay, so oil wise, get something low Noack. That Pennzoil GTL 10W30 with a 4% Noack that was on the forum a few weeks back would be good. Avoid Dino 5W30 like the plague and go full synthetic 5W20.
Regarding the keep or sell-on question, that's a tricky one. The big risk with oil getting past the PCV valve is not inlet valve deposits but the oil getting burnt in the cylinder and creating deposits which over time migrate down the pistons and stick an oil ring. If this happens, oil consumption will go through the roof. Although I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure this was the root cause of the well publicised Audi 2.0L TFSI problems of a few years back.
Or you could get a catch can fitted. This answer always seems to get peoples backs up but if you fit it, and it does trap gunk that gets through the PCV valve, then it's effectively curing any long-term risk of ring stick.
Hope this helps...

thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

This is a problem blown out of proportion on the internet forums mostly thanks to VW/Audi and BMW initial problems. The Skyactiv engine has been in production since 2011 and there aren't any reports of these engines suffering from poor performance or drivability problems. The MazdaSpeed3 has had a DI motor since 2007, GM has had their DI V6 engines since about 2006-07 as well. You don't hear too much about these engines.

The intake valves may get dirty, but if the performance or drivability doesn't suffer, why bother worrying about it?

^that could very well be true too. I've heard that argument before.

Within that link, the presenter, who calls himself, James from JamesBaroneRacing.xxx, is selling catch cans. This is advertising, Nothing more.

Two things i have a problem with, one being the amount of deposits at under 5k miles, and two, what "typical soccer mom" goes out looking to install a catch can?

Originally Posted By: JamesBaroneRacing.xxx

"Recently, we had a customer bring their 2014 Mazda 3, 2.0L to us to install an oil catch can kit..."

"The customer who brought the car to us was your typical soccer Mom..."

most of the internet selling/postings nowadays prey on reader's FUD, and it seems to be working just fine.

Look at all the useless nonsense stuff OTC nowadays, and you'll see why.

Oh, did I also forget some stuff that claimed used during WWII, cures ticks on flea-bitten dawgs, etc. and lubricates fuel pumps and upper cylinders on 4-cycle IC engines?

Q.

doesn't look like 200k is in the cards here, if the carbon won't end it the N.J. salted roads will.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Within that link, the presenter, who calls himself, James from JamesBaroneRacing.xxx, is selling catch cans. This is advertising, Nothing more.

Two things i have a problem with, one being the amount of deposits at under 5k miles, and two, what "typical soccer mom" goes out looking to install a catch can?

"Recently, we had a customer bring their 2014 Mazda 3, 2.0L to us to install an oil catch can kit..."

I like the way you think! Follow the money.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Well done.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back