SkyActiv 2.5 OCI

Hi,

I have a 2020 Mazda 3 with the non-turbo sky-activ 2.5 engine, with cylinder deactivation. I drive my vehicle mainly on the interstate and drive 40k miles/year. On these engines, Mazda recommends a 10k OCI. I currently use fram ultra filters and M1 EP 0-20. Can I safely go beyond 10k miles? If I used a different oil, could I go beyond 10k miles. I’ve never done an oil analysis and I probably won’t mess with that.

I suggest you take XW-30 into account for an extended OCI. I think adding extra 2k may not be something to worry about if most of your drive is highway.

Personally, I stick to 7 to 8k. I think that's a sweet spot.

I would not go past 10K miles for an oil change.

All that highway driving is very easy on your engine.

Hi,

I have a 2020 Mazda 3 with the non-turbo sky-activ 2.5 engine, with cylinder deactivation. I drive my vehicle mainly on the interstate and drive 40k miles/year. On these engines, Mazda recommends a 10k OCI. I currently use fram ultra filters and M1 EP 0-20. Can I safely go beyond 10k miles? If I used a different oil, could I go beyond 10k miles. I’ve never done an oil analysis and I probably won’t mess with that.
Order up some HPL; IMO you’d really only need two UOAs to really get a good idea of how far you could extend your runs. One at 10k just to see where viscosity & TBN sat at; then share the data with @High Performance Lubricants who could then look at the data and give you a recommendation for a “final” test point (let’s call it 15k for this example). At the 15k mark you would then get more data and decide to continue or cut it there.

Considering that I ran PUP 5w20 out to 17k on a Fusion 2.5 (Mazda engine) I would expect that HPL would likely easily exceed a 20k OCI.

However, caveat: HPL recommends changing filters every 5k to make sure no leftover deposits clog the filter (see Wilson’s HPL threads) so you’d need some makeup oil as well, but this will help boost TBN and additives, furthering the distance you’d be able to travel on one OCI.

It seems you already know how to find out whether it's safe to run beyond 10K (oil analysis), yet state you aren't inclined to have one done. So what's the question?

Hi,

In cold weather, i wont go past 2k, too much fuel dilution.

My 2014 Mazda3 with the 2.5 Skyactive had an OCI of 7500 miles and if memory serves it was hard on oil. I typically saw some fuel in the oil AND oil thickening by the end of 7500 miles and that was 98% highway miles.

Image 12-1-22 at 7.26 AM.jpeg

In my opinion the sweet spot for OCI on these SkyActiv motors is 5000 miles. If you are driving all highway miles then 7500 miles could be done. A lot depends on driving routine and climate. Since the OP is in Illinois and cold weather is a concern I would lean towards 5000 miles.

Hi,

I would stick with the recomended oil change interval and not exceed it.

Order up some HPL; IMO you’d really only need two UOAs to really get a good idea of how far you could extend your runs. One at 10k just to see where viscosity & TBN sat at; then share the data with @High Performance Lubricants who could then look at the data and give you a recommendation for a “final” test point (let’s call it 15k for this example). At the 15k mark you would then get more data and decide to continue or cut it there.

Considering that I ran PUP 5w20 out to 17k on a Fusion 2.5 (Mazda engine) I would expect that HPL would likely easily exceed a 20k OCI.

However, caveat: HPL recommends changing filters every 5k to make sure no leftover deposits clog the filter (see Wilson’s HPL threads) so you’d need some makeup oil as well, but this will help boost TBN and additives, furthering the distance you’d be able to travel on one OCI.
*What about oil filters that claim a 10K , 15K or even a 20K OCI for the oil filter ? ... Certainly longer than the 5K mile before changing the oil filter that HPL recommends !

*What about oil filters that claim a 10K , 15K or even a 20K OCI for the oil filter ? ... Certainly longer than the 5K mile before changing the oil filter that HPL recommends !
My understanding is even on the “long-haul” filters, because of the particulate loading potential of the filter, it’s recommended to change at 5k, so until my filter cuts show there’s no loading, that’s what I’ll do.

Back