Size F cap wrench will not fit Valvoline VO-54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in December, my shoulder was pretty sore and the Dr told me to take it easy, so I availed myself to the $21.99 oil, filter and tire rotation at my local AutoTire store while I went across the street.

This is a mixed tale as I found my car seems to like Valvoline oils better than others, consuming only about 1/2 quart in a 6K oci compared to more in others. (I say seems because it's possible that other factors such as finally breaking in the rebuilt engine, etc may be in play.)

The downside is my oil filter wrenches that have reliably fit the 6607/7317 sized filters I use on the Protege5 and oilBabe's Altima don't fit the filter installed by AutoTire. Either this filter is larger, or it expanded in service.

So I called them up today and asked what they used, and they indicated a Valvoline VO-54.

Anyone else had experience with these and do the gripper type wrenches such as the Lisle Manufacturer Part Number: 63600 really work well?

Thoughts?

I must have 10 end cap type tool collecting dust in my garage. Every time I got one that worked, they changed the design of the can (even on the SAME filter) which made the tool useless.

Either get a universal tool that works well, or use a filter with the grippy surface and use your hands. Siince I've used PureOnes, I never use a filter wrench anymore.

I seldom need a wrench on the other cars which have easy access and I'm the one doing the change.

Getting to the filter in the P5 is a bit of a maze, making a cap wrench with an extension the best bet most times. Not sure I can get a strap wrench in there, not to mention the filter is so small.

I was hoping someone had experience with one of those cap type universal tools to give me some assurance it's a reasonable approach.

sorry, duplicate

I would delete, but board says, "This post may no longer be deleted. "

Last edited:
I have always experienced positive results using the simple "chain-style" adjustable filter wrenches in instances where I was unable to remove a filter by hand. The downside is that it can occasionally dent or otherwise damage the filter can (if you're concerned with that sort of thing) and it requires that you have some room to work around the filter, but the advantage is that it can be used across nearly all my vehicles and filters and I find it offers more grip than the "band-style" adjustable wrenches.

It can't hurt to pick one up and give it a try, as they're really quite inexpensive.

I havent done this myself yet, but i imagine hitting the ends of any metal filter with a thick coat of wrinkle finish paint/flex seal knockoff may be just enough to get a grip on it at a later date. the thing about all filter spec. tools, even strappy is sometimes the range of motion is bad so a hand with fingers is the best, especially if you choose to not even be under the car and just sort of doing it from the side or from the front.

I use a Matco wrench.
thumbsup2.gif

w_zpsd661adb0.jpg

Probably can't get a long handled wrench in there per the OP.

I appreciate what is working for you.

What I'd like to know is if folks have had good experiences with the variable sized cap style wrenches as that is what is going to fit in the spatial constraints of this car.

Thanks!

Craftsman Universal Oil Filter Wrench, Auto-Adjustable works well. It's on sale for less than $12 now - well made USA product.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
.....Anyone else had experience with these and do the gripper type wrenches such as the Lisle Manufacturer Part Number: 63600 really work well?.....

Bought the AutoZone OEM Brand Cam action filter wrench (Part #: 25128) for my son. Works great and cost ~$6 at AZ compared to ~$11 for the Lisle. Looking at them I can't tell any difference.

I think that's what I picked up last night. Stapled the receipt to the package, just in case.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
.....Anyone else had experience with these and do the gripper type wrenches such as the Lisle Manufacturer Part Number: 63600 really work well?.....

Bought the AutoZone OEM Brand Cam action filter wrench (Part #: 25128) for my son. Works great and cost ~$6 at AZ compared to ~$11 for the Lisle. Looking at them I can't tell or see any difference.

I think that's what I picked up last night. Stapled the receipt to the package, just in case.

If it looks like this, that's the correct one. Imo the three prong cap wrench doesn't work as well.

41N%2B5-vPjBL.jpg

This is why I no longer bother with cap wrenches.
The range of filters they'll work on, even in the same application, is just too limited.
I have a prong type wrench I use on the Forester, since the filter is awkward to get to, being burried up between the exhaust headers.
You turn your ratchet (with extention) counterclockwise, while a little gear wheel on the wrench tightens the prongs on the oil filter. Works really well and was ~&7.00 from Sears.

Didn't really work. Not sure it's all the wrench. Can't get both hands in there to close it down on the filter. It just spins on the filter.

Fortunately, I gave it another shot by hand and was able to get it off.

Took it back as it's largely useless on this car.

If I'm injured again, I'll take the filter I want them to use.

If it looks like this, that's the correct one. Imo the three prong cap wrench doesn't work as well.

41N%2B5-vPjBL.jpg

Hmmm, obviously I'm surpised. As mentioned, son has used it on on the same 7317/14610/14612/6607 size with excellent results. In addition to those posting here, Bill in Utah has used and recommended the this model.

Sorry it didn't work out but at least you were able to take it back. The 54 is a short filter, have you found anything else to try yet?

Oh, I have a stash of 7317/14610 filters. The only reason the VO54 was on there was I was rehabbing my shoulder back in December and I took advantage of the $21.99 oil change and tire rotation at a local tire place while I had breakfast across the parking lot.

Since the can is smooth, there is nothing for the wrench to bite. Didn't try just putting it on the very top. I wonder if the springs were weak or something?

I see where they were going with the design, but it didn't seem to grip the filter. It just spun around the outside of the can.

Hmmm, obviously I'm surpised. As mentioned, son has used it on on the same 7317/14610/14612/6607 size with excellent results. In addition to those posting here, Bill in Utah has used and recommended the this model.

Sorry it didn't work out but at least you were able to take it back. The 54 is a short filter, have you found anything else to try yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back