Sitting for long time, what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be getting some surgery done and the truck (07 F150 5.4L) will be sitting for at least two months. I filled up the tank and added stabilizer, checked the tire pressure, and hooked up the battery tender. This truck is also only driven a couple times a week on weekends for a couple 80 mile round trips at most. Should I do anything else for the long term storage and is should I do anything like an UCL for the short term when I am able to drive it again?

I get leery of the gasoline's abilities of volatility and lubrication since I have to get it out of an old, rusty farm tank that sits for months before use and the fuel filter always is orange on the inlet side of the truck when I change it.

Two months is nothing. You'll get some surface rust on the rotors that'll disappear after a day or so of driving. The battery tender should take care of the battery issue since batteries do go dead after two months. Every three months I trickle charge the batteries for my cars in storage.

+1 on the battery tender. Winter will be kind to the rest of the truck as it slows down chemical reactions.

My volvo was laid up six weeks last winter, unexpectedly, after I busted my ankle. It sat in a snow drift but started right up. Unfortunately the water pump seal dried out and started leaking, but you can't predict that ahead of time or prevent it.

Wife's car sat for two months (maybe three?) and it locked up a drum. It broken loose after a few yards, but IIRC it had to have all the brakes turned. OTOH I park right off a semi-busy road, so my cars seem to get a lot of water kicked up by passing cars.

If you can, get someone to take it out for a spin every 2-3 weeks, if you are worried.

When I was in college, it wasn't uncommon for my Taurus to sit for a month (less time than you, of course).

Never had a dead battery, but the rotors rusted to bad the car took a bit of gas to get moving. A few times, the drums locked up ... learned to not set the parking brake for 4 weeks.

When I put my mustang and bikes in for the winter hibernation I pit fuel stabilizer in the gas and let it run so the stabilizer is into all the lines and injectors,change oil if there is more than 1500kms on it,fog the intake,and battery tender on rotation for a week on each vehicle.
Once you park it don't go out and start it periodically. Dry starts are the most significant as far as wear and unless you are driving it the oil will end up with condensation. Just park it and leave it until you are ready to drive it again.

I wouldn't worry about the gas getting old after two months. There are some local gas stations near me that have high-test in the tanks that is MUCH older than that. I might consider a battery tender or unhooking the battery though.

Two months is nothing, my '69 Fairlane often sets for over six months never a problem...

I just drained THREE year old gas from my '88 T-Bird that been setting due to a blown head gasket that happened in Nov '09... Gasket is blown between cylinders with no coolant loss, and has averaged a start-up maybe every four to six months... It did have fuel stabilizer added but that was after it'd already set over a year... To get rid of it, I'm now burning that gas in a beater F-150 pickup I bought a week ago, runs fine... Both vehicles mentioned are stored indoors so that probably has some bearing on the gas...

I disconnect the battery if it's going to be setting and only recharge maybe once in three or four months...

Two months? *scoffs*

I have had a car sit for four months in my garage. No prep. Fired right up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
I wouldn't worry about the gas getting old after two months. There are some local gas stations near me that have high-test in the tanks that is MUCH older than that. I might consider a battery tender or unhooking the battery though.

The gas has already sat in the farm tank for over a year and is now in the truck, so this was my worry. This along with the rusty fuel sitting.

For two months, you don't even need a tender. Simply disconnect the battery cables, and the battery will keep. Stabil not even needed. Been there and done that too many times.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
Does "checked the tire pressure" = "filled it to max sidewall inflation pressure"?

Not at all. It means, since the garage that it is staying in stays around 50 degrees I made sure all the tires were the correct 35 psi at the 50 temperature.

I generally put stabilizer and tcw-3 oil in to ensure that everything has a nice coating.

IMO your plan is good otherwise.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Does "checked the tire pressure" = "filled it to max sidewall inflation pressure"?

Not at all. It means, since the garage that it is staying in stays around 50 degrees I made sure all the tires were the correct 35 psi at the 50 temperature.

Though for tires that are prone to flat spotting, this may be a good approach. Fill them to max, then bleed them down later. Harder tire shouldnt deform as much, which would. E good for shape.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: msmoke00

Though for tires that are prone to flat spotting, this may be a good approach. Fill them to max, then bleed them down later. Harder tire shouldnt deform as much, which would. E good for shape.

Exactly, that was my point. Inflate them to the max and they are less likely to develop a permanent impression.

I did that when leaving my vehicles for 2 months and there were no problems when I came back except remembering to deflate them before driving.

Thanks for the tip guys. They are LT tires, so they aren't soft like a P rated tire but will go bump them up a little.

My pickup frequently sits 2+ months. For that, nothing special is needed. Just park it and focus on other, more important stuff.

I've never had an issue with tires developing flat spots, never had an issue with the battery going dead (although your 2007 may have more "keep alive" electronic gizmo's than my 1999 does). I've never worried about putting anything in the oil. I add Stabil to the gas, but it's not uncommon for me to only fill it with fuel every 6-8 months. If I drove it regularly (tank of fuel every week or two) I wouldn't add the Stabil.

I let my(purchaced new) '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 sit for 6-7 months without starting or moving it. I use Sta-Bil in the gas and I let is sit on the tires in the same spot all winter.

I had my OE set of tires last 10 years and my 2nd set of tires on the car for over 20 years and never a flat spot.

Now I have new FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 and I am doing the same thing.

Engine is great and the tires are fine!

I had Bridgestones on my Lexus and they developed flat spots overnight.

The first half mile or so until they warmed up was distinctively bumpy. So I wouldn't have felt comfortable letting that car sit too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back