Sitting for 3 years

Hi everyone,

I recently, after two years of probate mess, took possession of my late mother's '04 Accord. I parked it at her house in July of 2019. It's been started and moved around the yard on various occasions but hasn't been on the road until I brought it home this evening.

The battery is bad, I have a new tray already and will be replacing (upgrading to 24F) it tomorrow. Thankfully it only has about a quarter tank of gas. I'll probably add some MMO and top it off with fresh gas tomorrow.

I did encounter a small snake under the hood while jump starting it. Hopefully the rose home shook the rest out.

What else is on BITOGers must-do list for long-sitting vehicles?

Skip the mmo in the gas, the fuel has lost enough aromatics as it is, adding oil won't do much. I'd add berryman b-12. Has real solvents.

04 thats sat 3 years, just me, but after you get it running, i would pull the wheels and really inspect the brakes. Replace the brake fluid. Look for rodent damage or cracked vacuum lines. Change coolant if it runs. Wait till you get it running, then change oil.

Skip the mmo in the gas, the fuel has lost enough aromatics as it is, adding oil won't do much. I'd add berryman b-12. Has real solvents.
I'll grab some when I get the battery tomorrow. This stuff, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220715-221434_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20220715-221434_Walmart.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 15
Think about it more, if the spark plugs are easy to remove, a bit of oil added through the spark plug hole would help lube the cylinder walls. That would help if it takes a bit of cranking to get her started.

Think about it more, if the spark plugs are easy to remove, a bit of oil added through the spark plug hole would help lube the cylinder walls. That would help if it takes a bit of cranking to get her started.
He has already driven it, that won't make a difference. Cylinder bores have already been lubricated.
But pulling the plugs to check on them is a good idea.

Check/change of all fluids.
Check the tire date codes, check for flat spots as well (usually flat spots in radials are temporary till driven a few times).
Check the serpentine belt and all under hood hoses.
Check air and cabin (if it has it) filters.
Check all your bulbs.
Change wiper blades.
Lube locks and hinges.
As said above, pull the wheels and check and lube the brakes.
Check to see if parking brake is working.
Probably needs a good detailing as well.

Biggest thing will be getting that old fuel out of there. If it is a 1/4 tank and ran on that, filling the tank full and using a fuel cleaner containing PEA for a few tanks should clear it up.
B-12 is some good stuff, but PEA cleaners will help a lot more with injectors.

Then just drive it and fix any issues that may arise.

Last edited:
He has already driven it, that won't make a difference. Cylinder bores have already been lubricated. But pulling the plugs to check on them is a good idea.

Check/change of all fluids.
Check the tire date codes.
Check the serpentine belt and all under hood hoses.
Check air and cabin (if it has it) filters.
Check all your bulbs.
Change wiper blades.
Lube locks and hinges.
As said above, pull the wheels and check and lube the brakes.
Check to see if parking brake is working.

Biggest thing will be getting that old fuel out of there. If it is a 1/4 tank and ran on that, filling the tank full and using a fuel cleaner containing PEA
for a few tanks should clear it up.
Missed that part, didn't realize its been fired up!

I wouldn't even run the rest of that old gas through it, why put varnish further up the fuel system?

I know, gas costs a lot now but less than anything you might have to do later to clean gunk out of the system.

I'd take my 5 gallon gas can and get some fresh, drain the old out of the tank, fill with fresh and then a 1/4 bottle of techron cleaner.

The rest, you'll have to drive it to see what didn't like sitting. Brakes might be sketchy and need some rust removal and lube, anything really, didn't get any younger sitting considering it was already 18 years old. If you're going to start using it regularly then you will have all the same issues as anyone else's 18 year old vehicle that hadn't say unused at all, except some fewer issues because it didn't have extra wear during that unused time.

Shorter version, go over it top to bottom as if it is *new to you*.

I'd drain as much of that 1/4 tank of fuel and replace it with fresh fuel.
The snake under hood is a good sign...No rodents! However, look for rodent damage under the hood as they may have been there before the snake arrived.
Yes indeed, check the brakes and all fluids, tire flat spotting/cracking/wear
What everyone else mentioned.

Drive it first. You would be surprised how little you have to do. Unless if you enjoy the recreational aspect as mentioned in the above suggestions. No need to create issues when they aren’t there.

Is there an echo in here?

I just got a car, 6 years idle ( The advice given here is what I need to drill into the next owner's (16.5 year old learner's permit driver) head.

I'm also of the belief that starters and alternators don't like sitting.
I believe they can develop "rust spots" on their rotors/armatures which may or may not polish out with use.
There's gotta be rebuild shops in NE Ohio.

I parked it at her house in July of 2019. It's been started and moved around the yard on various occasions but hasn't been on the road until I brought it home this evening.
That's the best thing you have done so the fuel pump hasn't seized up and the seals and gaskets in the engine and transmission got lubricated and didn't dry out. Hopefully you also turned on the A/C assuming it was working then. You can just continue driving it as you left it in 2019 after checking the basics like fluid levels and tire pressures. Gas will be fine and do an oil change sooner than later if it looks dirty.

My '05 Park Avenue had sat unused for many years in a garage when I bought it with 14000 miles. It had a full gas tank, but the tires were less than 20 psi, and it was covered with a heavy coat of dust.
I checked the fluids, carefully looked over and aired up the tires, and drove it 5hrs home on back roads at 50-55 mph.
I replaced the tires, battery and fluids when I got it home, and it's still doing great almost 7 years later now.

....How many years (approximately)?
I'm not sure, there was no plate on the car, or old registration in the glovebox. The seller (an elderly friend of the family) had a new registration for the car in his name so he could sell it. The kids of the deceased owner had gifted the car to him, as he had looked after the car's original owner for many years. He thought that it hadn't been out of the garage in at least 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
Drive it first. You would be surprised how little you have to do. Unless if you enjoy the recreational aspect as mentioned in the above suggestions. No need to create issues when they aren’t there.
I’m not opposed to turning the engine over by hand or making some small efforts, but we’ve discussed time and time again that oil stays reasonably in important areas. I’ve restarted engines after sitting nearly seven years, and was concerned about oil filters…. But didn’t want to open the system and have more dry start time… it was fine in the end.

Key is to start it, get fluids flowing, check for leaks or issues, take it easy until the vehicle has gone through a few thermal cycles, then start changing fluids.

I’m not opposed to turning the engine over by hand or making some small efforts, but we’ve discussed time and time again that oil stays reasonably in important areas. I’ve restarted engines after sitting nearly seven years, and was concerned about oil filters…. But didn’t want to open the system and have more dry start time… it was fine in the end.

Key is to start it, get fluids flowing, check for leaks or issues, take it easy until the vehicle has gone through a few thermal cycles, then start changing fluids.
Time and time! It won’t hurt an old “loose” engine anyway. Stale gas, flat spotted tires, and critter’s losing their home is usually the worst of it.

i have fun starting ones that have sat much longer, outside. They need even more babying (dont wanna bend push rods etc). This 1? just drain the gas w/a lill ele fule pump'n line (using charged car battery to run). C wha'ts in it. Make a decision from there. I have same vehicle (1st of the honda's to up size I hear) as my DD. Durable, low cost appliance.

Back