URGENT: Sudden overheating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Buick Park Avenue suddenly overheated just now on my way home. I was a quarter mile from home when I noticed the temp needle was high, though not in the red zone. I checked the readout: 223 F. Then as I pulled into my usual parking spot, the needle rose a bit more and I smelled coolant, and turning the wheel gave me a groan like a slipping belt.

I shut it off quick, hopped out, and lifted the hood. Steam . . . and it looked like the coolant recovery tank was almost dry. (I'm pretty sure it was at the right level this weekend.) The fan belt looked okay, but steam was hissing out from the gasket area (?).

The steam had ceased in about 5 minutes, when I got back with some distilled water, all I had at home. So I filled the coolant tank to the HOT level and closed the hood.

My question is: Do I dare start the car up tomorrow morning to try to bring it to my regular shop? He's some 12-13 miles away. Would I do as well to drive carefully to the local Firestone about 1.5 miles away? Or should I have the car towed out to the regular place?

Any suggestions welcome!

You can safely drive to the regular shop. I would start it tonight and let it run for 5-10 minutes (watching inside at temp gauge) and this will purge most of the air by tomorrow morning. With the engine cold, you can go a distance even if something is wrong.

Steam from the gasket area is not good. Maybe hot water got there from steam.

The fan or fan thermostat is electric. The fan clutch is non electric. Did you notice the fan moving?

Stuck thermostat is a possibility.

If they do not find anything, I would ask them to change the thermostat. Its a maintenance item and should be changed maybe every 3-5 years.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

My question is: Do I dare start the car up tomorrow morning to try to bring it to my regular shop? He's some 12-13 miles away.

Get it towed, trust me you'll save money in the end. Overheat it, and turn a possible water pump leak into cracked radiator, block, head etc etc.

local Firestone about 1.5 miles away?

Avoid like the plague.

Thanks, Donald and Comfy,

I've had the thermostat changed and the coolant replaced in the last 2-3 years, so I haven't neglected the system. As for the tow, I have AAA, and I'm not sure what my limit for free towing is -- maybe 5 miles? I'm not fond of the Firestone or Goodyear places, as I don't know them or people who go there.

Would I do better to wait until tomorrow morning to run it, watching the gauge, as you suggest?

Whether I drive to Kevin's or have it towed, it looks like I've got a day off from work!

I think if you could diagnose what is going on you could make a better decision as to what to do. Suggestions:

First, make sure the water pump pulley is turning when the car is running - if the water pump has frozen, you don't want to drive it...period.

Second, see if there is a growing puddle under the car when it is running. If there is, the question is what is leaking and how much? If it's a slow leak from a pinhole in a hose or a weeping water pump, you can probably drive it, as long as you make sure to monitor the temperature and add coolant if it starts to rise.

Third, see if the temperature gauge moves continuously into the hot zone after you start the car, or if it seems to stay in the normal zone for a while. If it seems to rise continuously, there is a good chance the thermostat is stuck closed...you don't want to drive it that far if that is the case.

The 3800 has a plastic hose fitting on the manifold that has been known to crack or break completely off.Another great GM design.

Originally Posted By: NEOhio_Bob

First, make sure the water pump pulley is turning when the car is running - if the water pump has frozen, you don't want to drive it . . . period.

When I hopped out just now, of course, I'd turned the car off. Tomorrow morning I'll pop the hood before I start the car. I'd presume that if the pulley isn't turning, I'll hear some painful noises? (I'm hoping that the groaning belt I heard as I parked was just because the belt was wet from steam, and slipping!)

If there are no screams from the belt, I'll monitor the gauge for a while, and see if there are any leaks below.

I'm darned lucky that this didn't happen miles from home, or on the bridge over the river.

As for the tow, I have AAA, and I'm not sure what my limit for free towing is -- maybe 5 miles?

Also consider your insurance. I get I think $75 per tow from my insurance. I can use it I think twice a year without it upping my rate. Or just pay the extra fee to AAA to get it towed more than the 5 miles to your trusted mechanic (first make sure that is in fact true that you only get a free tow for 5 miles).

I think its 3 or 5 miles for reg AAA

I'd just pay the extra 20$ and have it towed.. cheaper/safer option.

Sudden overheating is almost always caused by a stuck thermostat, a coolant leak (usually a hose) or a siezed water pump.
None of these should be hard to diagnose or fix, nor will they be expensive.
This should begin as a DIY project, and should not cost more than a bill or so even if you replace both the thermostat and the water pump, after ruling out any leaks from the rad or heater hoses, or the heater control valve, or anything else.
Shouldn't be difficult, and won't be costly.

The power steering feel makes me think stuck/seized water pump. Don't drive it, have it towed...you'll cook the engine in the 1.5 miles if the water pump is seized...better safe than sorry...

Update, all,

I let the car sit overnight. Just now I went out and, before I started the engine, removed the radiator cap to check the level there. Symptom (?): the fluid was swirling, almost like a toilet, and as I watched swirled up and began to overflow. Purging itself? I put the cap back on and tightened it. The area on the manifold where the steam appeared to come from yesterday still looked wet.

Started car. NO wild noises, no steam. Turned the steering wheel; no groans. I watched the temp needle and the driver's coolant temp readout. Five minutes or so, the temp came up normally, and no steam or weird sounds. At 196, the rated temp for the thermostat, the readout dropped -- down to 194, then 189. Apparently the thermostat is working, letting coolant through.

Underneath: No puddle of fluid, no leaks that I could see. Except for the wet spot on the manifold, just above the fan belt (which appeared to turn normally), you'd never know I had the event yesterday.

I'll call my mechanic when he opens. But if I keep an eye on the temp, don't run the A/C, and carry a big jug of water with me in case of trouble -- does it look like I could make it 12-13 miles, about a half hour, to his shop?

I would not drive the car 30 minutes anywhere in that condition. As mentioned it is either the thermostat or the water pump, possibly a plugged up radiator but I doubt it. It should be easy enough to diagnose, check coolant level, then the water pump. Does the water pump pulley wobble, or is it binding, are the belts tight enough? Is the water circulating through the radiator properly? Finally remove the thermostat and see if it opens properly by putting it into water a little hotter than the opening temperature, see if it opens up.

As long as you carefully monitor this situation it sounds like you could drive it a ways. If it heats up you will have to stop for 15 or 20 minutes and cool it back down, add water, then take off again.

Your water pump ant Tstat check out per your description. You probably sprung a leak somewhere in the vicinity of the 'wet spot' under the hood.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
As long as you carefully monitor this situation it sounds like you could drive it a ways. If it heats up you will have to stop for 15 or 20 minutes and cool it back down, add water, then take off again.

Your water pump ant Tstat check out per your description. You probably sprung a leak somewhere in the vicinity of the 'wet spot' under the hood.

True he could make the trip allowing for extra time and having some patience. I'd try and find the problem and fix it myself though, the last thing he needs is to warp a head. JMO

I've checked, and regular AAA pays for the first 3 miles of towing; the cost is "not to exceed" $3.00/mile after that. Thirty bucks or so won't kill me. But I need to have it fixed today, or rent a car and leave it for him to work on next week. The last thing I want, naturally, is to have a similar event happen in the middle of traffic on a hot afternoon, and then find (when I do have it towed) that I've ruined the engine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

True he could make the trip allowing for extra time and having some patience. I'd try and find the problem and fix it myself though, the last thing he needs is to warp a head. JMO

And absolutely true! Catastrophic damage is a possibility.

But I've nursed many an old truck home with bad leakage by simply watching the gauge and pulling over with some water and being patient. If you have an accurate gauge you can get away with this provided the water pump is actually moving the coolant.

Costs 200 dollars MINIMUM to get one of my trucks towed. They're too heavy to tow by either end so they require a longer flatbed.

I nursed my Aerostar home with a heater hose that let go. I had about 2 miles which took close to half an hour. It would have cost me a small fortune because I was on the Southern State Parkway and there is only one tow company allowed to take you off that parkway. Talk about highway robbery!

At 196, the rated temp for the thermostat, the readout dropped -- down to 194, then 189. Apparently the thermostat is working, letting coolant through.

I agree with Steve: your thermostat and water pump, at least at that point were/are working fine. Where is the wet area? You said it was close to the front cover of the engine? Did this 3800 have the updated manifold design? Someone also mentioned plastic water housings that can crack. Check it all out.

If you are not planning to fix it yourself in your garage, have it towed. Even if it costs you 100 bucks for the tow, I just don't think it's worth risking the potential damage. There are so many times you get burned by trying to save money. I would suck it up and have it towed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back