Single vs dual channel ram question

4 and 16 would be 20GB in Single channel.

I personally wouldn't splurge on 32GB when DDR5 is just around the corner.

I'm a huge nerd with an expensive computer running many programs and I am just fine with 16GB of RAM. Save that money and put it towards more solid state storage.
DDR5 won't compatible with the Motherboard... so, I would go splurge on the 32GB RAM.

"Sweetie, look what followed me home"
I broke the news and it went over really well, actually when I explain all the differences and being able to drive 2K and 4K monitors better for her marketing photos. Whew...lol

I have a desktop computer that currently has 2x4gb 3200 ram. I’m running out of ram with having multiple windows and programs going. I like to also do some light gaming periodically but have a dgpu.

I can either buy 2x8gb 3200 or I can buy a single stick of 16gb 3200 $30 cheaper and run 1x4 and 1x16 for a total of 20gb vs the 16gb of the 2x8. Now I know that with the 4 and 16, I’d have 8gb in dual and 12 in single channel.

I’m debating which route I should go. More total ram or more in dual channel but less overall. Does it really matter in the end?

You don't have room for 4 sticks? most desktops do.

Anyway, the new laptop comes with 16GB on a single stick, and it has no issues filling up all the available ram. Iris Xe (on chip graphics) can use up to 8 GB windows report but haven't seen it use more than 1. Also there's typically about 300 MB compressed ram. In short, I could use more.

Once they become available again I'm getting 2 16 GB sticks, dual rank memeory. The surplus stick will go to the daughter's laptop.

I don't think that the 16 and 4 will work in dual channel mode

They CAN, but it depends on the memory controller used on the mainboard, and the sticks themselves possibly. but you wuld get 8 GB dual channel which is used up pretty much as soon as windows is loaded. the remaining 12 GB would be single channel again

Back