Single Engine Aircraft Engine Failure

I always had this passion for flying and owning a small aircraft as I previously posted but I never have. Previously never knew when I would have had the time with my other interests. Now retired I doubt it will happen but one never knows.

Anyway, maybe the experts in here may have a thought on this. I always thought a duel engine SMALL aircraft would be safer, but I have seen things like this video more often than not.
Is it the fact that its a light aircraft with one engine that in case of failure you have a significant chance of surviving as the plane will act almost like a glider instead of a downward spiral into the ground?
Is this an advantage to some degree of single engine?
This is a 9 minute long video, it blacks out for only the first less than 2 minutes, the remainder is all video I found quite interesting how calm the pilot remained. If you hang out to the end it shows photos of the engine, looks like it blew apart.

Last edited:
Is it the fact that its a light aircraft with one engine that in case of failure you have a significant chance of surviving as the plane will act almost like a glider instead of a downward spiral into the ground?
When you pull the power or lose the engine on a single engine airplane, it is still an airplane and it still flies just like an airplane, but you are descending. I promise you that you are descending, this is a 100% guarantee. :) During any training or biennials it is routine and expected that your instructor will randomly pull power to idle and see how you react. Fly the airplane, find a suitable place to land, and get there.

Is this an advantage to some degree of single engine?
No. Multi-engine airplanes fly just like an airplane even on one engine (with pilot skill). If you lose an engine when you have two, you'll find great comfort that you can likely get to the nearest airport and land at and airport, especially at night. Ask a single engine pilot what their greatest fear is and they are likely to tell you it's an engine failure at night. It's not good, because you can't see what you are about to hit, so you can't avoid hitting it.

the remainder is all video I found quite interesting how calm the pilot remained.
You don't have a choice, panic and do something stupid that you didn't have to do, or remain calm and make the very best of a bad situation. You don't get to stop being a pilot just because you are now a glider.

The guy did a great job. As you know, I own a small Cessna and enjoy flying it. However, I do my very best to flight plan over a string of airports, and always make sure to climb over an airport when departing at night. I don't think it is smart to (for example) depart SAV (Savannah, GA) and head South over 43 miles of dark savannahs (brackish swampland) devoid of airports and roads, without having sufficient altitude to glide to the next airport. (at least for most of the trip). Yes, there will always be a time where there is a "wet footprint" when overwater, where a plane can't glide to land, for example. But minimizing that is important to me.

I guess my point is that there are things one can do in a small plane to greatly minimize the risk and maximize the fun. Flying a prop driven aircraft in bad weather is the height of insanity as far as I am concerned. Avoid that, avoid running out of fuel, avoid flying low unnecessarily, and so on.

My example, flying my Cessna low over 40+ miles of this is a great way to take excess risk.

But if I'm honest with myself, due to the risk involved, (about the same as riding a motorcycle) I sometimes think of selling the plane and simply avoiding light aircraft. I'd miss it terribly, but there is a reason I no longer ride motorcycles.

8243856062_e64191cfca_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted the pic of my plane many times. It's a 177RG, (retractable gear) , no struts, and constant speed prop. It glides very well. While the published glide is 9 to 1, under some circumstances, (gear up, prop at the low RPM setting) it achieves about a 15 to 1 glide ratio. Making it a bit better than a more draggy design if the situation is right.

Even so, some newer single engine planes such as the Cirrus SR20 and 22, have a parachute and this seems to be a big factor in saving lives.

riAxLlQ.jpg

The guy did a great job. As you know, I own a small Cessna and enjoy flying it. However, I do my very best to flight plan over a string of airports, and always make sure to climb over an airport when departing at night. I don't think it is smart to (for example) depart SAV (Savannah, GA) and head South over 43 miles of dark savannahs (brackish swampland) devoid of airports and roads, without having sufficient altitude to glide to the next airport. (at least for most of the trip). Yes, there will always be a time where there is a "wet footprint" when overwater, where a plane can't glide to land, for example. But minimizing that is important to me.

I guess my point is that there are things one can do in a small plane to greatly minimize the risk and maximize the fun. Flying a prop driven aircraft in bad weather is the height of insanity as far as I am concerned. Avoid that, avoid running out of fuel, avoid flying low unnecessarily, and so on.

My example, flying my Cessna low over 40+ miles of this is a great way to take excess risk.

But if I'm honest with myself, due to the risk involved, (about the same as riding a motorcycle) I sometimes think of selling the plane and simply avoiding light aircraft. I'd miss it terribly, but there is a reason I no longer ride motorcycles.

8243856062_e64191cfca_b.jpg
Great post, glad you chimed in. I knew you were very active flying but was not aware of the aircraft. I like the motorcycle analogy but I assumed a light aircraft was safer if piloted in the way you speak of.
Yes, I know that long stretch also along i95 heading through GA to FL. Still amazes me, nothingness forever it seems

(For decades I would take small and not so small boats out into the ocean off Long Island fishing n land in sight, no GPS or radio beacons relying on my compass, carefully watching the weather and even keeping track of the sun subconsciously in case the compass broke for an unknown reason) Not that a boat is anything like an airplane but Im jsut the kind of person who likes to and enjoys thinking things out/contingencies)

Is a Cessna the best of the small breed or do you admire any other light aircraft if price is most important.

Last edited:
I've posted the pic of my plane many times. It's a 177RG, (retractable gear) , no struts, and constant speed prop. It glides very well. While the published glide is 9 to 1, under some circumstances, (gear up, prop at the low RPM setting) it achieves about a 15 to 1 glide ratio. Making it a bit better than a more draggy design if the situation is right.

Even so, some newer single engine planes such as the Cirrus SR20 and 22, have a parachute and this seems to be a big factor in saving lives.

riAxLlQ.jpg
That is gorgeous!

Cujet, please explain the process, skills, experience level, etc. needed to estimate the descent rate, distance, etc. in order to make it so precisely to the runway with only one try. That video is amazing.

- I wonder what his heart rate was during this?
- Would they have had fire equipment and personnel sitting there already? Ambulance?

Thanks

Last edited:
Cujet, please explain the process, skills, experience level, etc. needed to estimate the descent rate, distance, etc. in order to make it so precisely to the runway with only one try. That video is amazing. I wonder what his heart rate was during this? Thanks.
Take some introductory flight lessons . They are enlightening.

please explain the process, skills, experience level, etc. needed to estimate the descent rate, distance, etc. in order to make it so precisely to the runway with only one try. That video is amazing.
The rate of descent with an engine out can be derived from the performance charts or your VSI (vertical speed indicator). When you are gliding and hoping to land at a certain point, either on a runway or a suitable place to land, you have to get good at looking both inside and outside to determine if you can make it there or if you too high or too low. Much of it is judgement and practicing powered and unpowered landings over and over develops the skills you need to make that unpowered safe landing.

Last edited:
My flying was almost 50 years ago so I've forgotten most of it. At that time I recall various articles etc. suggesting it was easier to control a single with the engine out than a twin with one engine out. I'd rather not try either. The best alternative may be a Cessna, maybe the 335 but I can't remember the model number. It has an engine in the nose like most singles. It also has an engine on the back, in line with the fuselage and front engine. So it flies just like a single but has the second engine in case one fails. I always thought that, or one of the Mooney's, was the one to choose.

Some light twins don't have enough excess power to prevent a descent to the ground, particularly at higher elevations. Multiengine pilots calculate the single engine service ceiling, or highest altitude where level flight (ish) can be maintained on one engine. If that number is lower than the ground, your only advantage over a single engine aircraft with an engine out is a slower descent down.

This is a cool thread. enjoy reading the responses from those in the know. I love the photo of Cujets Cessna. White and Blueish color of the plane right down to the clean prop situated on that nice clean concrete. :)
I further suspect that is one heck of a well maintained aircraft based on his knowledgeable posts of things in here.

I keep watching this video over and over and I am amazed how well he landed this plane, of course I know nothing at all about flying maybe that is why I am amazed? Though the control tower also complimented him on the landing.
Is it uncommon for engines to blow apart like the photo shows? Is it just something that happens sometimes?

Last edited:
Cujet, please explain the process, skills, experience level, etc. needed to estimate the descent rate, distance, etc. in order to make it so precisely to the runway with only one try. That video is amazing.

- I wonder what his heart rate was during this?
- Would they have had fire equipment and personnel sitting there already? Ambulance?

Thanks
Experience in type is a big factor. Kind of a fun thing to do, I put the published glide in Foreflight and it provides a green colored circle (or oval if strong winds) of the glide range. I then pull the prop control and throttle all the way back, leave the gear up and see if I can make the airport. Some time back, I did this at 9500 feet, a bit North of SUA, in light winds, landing F45. While Foreflight said I could not make the 26 miles, I had 3500' addl alt over my home airport. Non scientific for sure, but I pulled it off without difficulty.

Training is required to pull off a deadstick landing so precisely. Without the training and practice, it is not so easy. With sufficient training, it's a non issue. My last BFR, that's all we did. Practice surviving an engine out over the everglades, for hours. It was great fun. Oh yeah, and altitude is KING. Without it, there is little time to plan or troubleshoot.

Getting a glider rating is a great way to become very comfortable and capable with this.

F45 has no emergency equipment, so I guess it would depend on where you land.

Not mine, but this is what a 177RG looks like in flight. It's reasonably sleek, and does glide well with the gear up. However, I'm not at all sure retractable gear is a good thing on a small plane....
Often times I think too much and without question the 177RG looks sleek with its landing gear up. Actually pretty awesome in flight, with that said (as you know sometimes I think too much) my first thought was is the retractable gear as reliable as let's say a commercial airliner ??
*LOL*
I dont know, it certainly must help airspeed and fuel economy? But is it an extra something that could be catastrophe if it malfunctions or is that something just in my imagination?

One thing for sure, with the gear up it looks like a small sports car compared to fixed landing gear. Someone like me, not expecting to break speed records might feel more secure having the gear down all the time, never mind the initial cost and maintenance of retractable gear that I couldn't afford at this time anyway.

Boy, as I read your posts and see these photo's this might be the one thing in life that if I had more life left and money I would have experienced.
We cant do it all, I think for me, flight school, small aircraft would have been it. I saw your mention about motorcycles. Wouldnt a small aircraft be more safe?
Maybe power walking on a treadmill and learning to play pickle ball is more safe!

As you now I have a bike but as I get older I wonder if I am pushing my luck, considered selling it but waiting it out for an another year or two. I think we traveled on it more than most from the mountains of NC and TN to the coast of SC almost every year for a decade. Pretty much did all we can on it but the move to the NC coast in another month might open up some new adventures for a while anyway.

I see there is a flight school in Wilmington NC, they offer introductory flights. Doubt I will do it, it would be just for fun and certainly not anytime soon this year.

Last edited:
It certainly must help airspeed and fuel economy? But is it an extra something that could be catastrophe if it malfunctions or is that something just in my imagination?

I see there is a flight school in Wilmington NC, they offer introductory flights. Doubt I will do it,
In this case, it's at least a 20Kt gain in airspeed. 125 to 145Kts. The Fixed gear version is not always capable of going 125Kts. The RG version will top 150Kts with engine mods or the STC for the IO390 engine. That's the benefit of a clean design, it does not take much more power to get more speed.

Do the introductory flight, but do it on a nice calm day. Pay for a bit more flight time and go fly around.

Back