Single action strut compressor - anyone beside me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else used this - http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products%C2%AE-Compressor-Automotive/dp/B00M39ROM8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1435519976&sr=8-19&keywords=strut+compressor
It is a strut compressor with a single bolt and grabs both sides of the coil spring. It worked pretty well recently for me - 1988 Dodge Aries front strut replacement. The coil has 6 loops and the factory manual said to grab 5 of them. It was a bit difficult because you can't place each side independently, so might not work for all, but worked in this case, & it saved me a lot of time (especially because I had to do the first side 2 times - I did not have both front wheels off the ground the 1st time, so I could not fit the new strut in and then had to compress the spring & but the old one back, so ended up using it 3 times to change 2 front struts). Live & learn.

I had one of those,but later bought a pneumatic floor unit from Harbor Freight.Its still a pain to use that,but at least the strut stays upright and it has foot pedal control of the hydraulic ram.The cast "cups" that fit into the coils will fit my 88 Aries,but not a later Caravan (they are too small diameter).HF discontinued it a couple years ago but other sellers sell copycats on EBAY.
And welcome to the 88 Aries owners group! lol

Originally Posted By: tomlct
Has anyone else used this - http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products%C2%AE-Compressor-Automotive/dp/B00M39ROM8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1435519976&sr=8-19&keywords=strut+compressor
It is a strut compressor with a single bolt and grabs both sides of the coil spring. It worked pretty well recently for me - 1988 Dodge Aries front strut replacement. The coil has 6 loops and the factory manual said to grab 5 of them. It was a bit difficult because you can't place each side independently, so might not work for all, but worked in this case, & it saved me a lot of time (especially because I had to do the first side 2 times - I did not have both front wheels off the ground the 1st time, so I could not fit the new strut in and then had to compress the spring & but the old one back, so ended up using it 3 times to change 2 front struts). Live & learn.

Wow, that's cheap. $50 shipped. I bought this one from HarborFreight, Spring compressor several years ago. I used it to change the struts on a 94 Dodge minivan. The coils are larger then your K car. Worked ok, but changing springs like that is scarry. The last 2 sets I did, I used the pre-assembled strut kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back