Since it's been out for a couple of years now, what about the Kel Tec P17?

My BIL just bought one and he let me put a few rounds through it. It worked flawlessly. The price is definitely right, though availability may still be not so great, I have been seeing some listed at MSRP ($199). I know they have been marked up because demand was so high, but now I think they've come back down off of their high. I'd like to hear from some of you who have had one for a while now to see how it's performing now...

It's a decent bargain gun. I've had one for about 15yrs and never any issues with it. My personal opinion is that Taurus makes better guns for the same or little more money. When protecting your life you don't want to cut costs too much.

It's a decent bargain gun. I've had one for about 15yrs and never any issues with it. My personal opinion is that Taurus makes better guns for the same or little more money. When protecting your life you don't want to cut costs too much.
I didn't know the P17 has been around for that long. I thought it was a fairly new gun...it won't be used for self defense, just plinking...

I didn't know the P17 has been around for that long. I thought it was a fairly new gun...it won't be used for self defense, just plinking...
Sorry mine isn't a P17 but yes they're surprisingly good and perfect for plinking

I went ahead and ordered a black P17. I got it for $229, including tax, and a lifetime warranty from Bud's Guns. The FFL fee will be another $35. I figure if I don't like it, I'm only out about $250. No biggie...

I went ahead and ordered a black P17. I got it for $229, including tax, and a lifetime warranty from Bud's Guns. The FFL fee will be another $35. I figure if I don't like it, I'm only out about $250. No biggie...
Did you get your gun yet? I'm also thinking about this gun as a "starter gun", used for the range and ammo is cheap. I've read and watched dozens of highly praised reviews. Just curious as to your experience. Many absolutely love this pistol.

had 2 different ones in the last ? 18 months ? & both worked...350-500 rds thru each; not the most accurate...good for practice, fun, or impromptu defense usage (gotta keep clean & fresh ammo...rotate every few months)

Did you get your gun yet? I'm also thinking about this gun as a "starter gun", used for the range and ammo is cheap. I've read and watched dozens of highly praised reviews. Just curious as to your experience. Many absolutely love this pistol.
I picked it up on May 31st, but I haven't shot it yet. I either have to shoot at a range, or wait until my next trip to MI...my BIL has a shooting range in his back yard...I'm probably going there sometime around the 4th, so I'll report back after my first shooting day with it. I do know know one aspect of it I already don't like...the magazines are a PITA to load...even when using a loader...

I picked it up on May 31st, but I haven't shot it yet. I either have to shoot at a range, or wait until my next trip to MI...my BIL has a shooting range in his back yard...I'm probably going there sometime around the 4th, so I'll report back after my first shooting day with it. I do know know one aspect of it I already don't like...the magazines are a PITA to load...even when using a loader...
Really??? That's good to know. I've heard and read they are a bit difficult. I was thinking if I got this gun I'd definitely get a loader to help. Is the spring tension very high? Let me know what you think once you shoot it for awhile. It's the little things that make ownership either good or bad. I haven't pulled the trigger (Pun intended! 😊 ) on a purchase yet, and am also considering the Taurus TX22. Lot's of owners like one or the other.

Really??? That's good to know. I've heard and read they are a bit difficult. I was thinking if I got this gun I'd definitely get a loader to help. Is the spring tension very high? Let me know what you think once you shoot it for awhile. It's the little things that make ownership either good or bad. I haven't pulled the trigger (Pun intended! 😊 ) on a purchase yet, and am also considering the Taurus TX22. Lot's of owners like one or the other.
I've been practicing loading the mags using the loader. It takes some practice, but I think it's getting a bit easier....once I get some time at the range and have loaded the mags a few times they'll probably loosen up a bit...I've heard good things about the TX22, it's just quit a bit more expensive than the P17...

Back