Simpson pressure washer pump oil

I've got a Simpson 3600 psi pressure washer with a AAA triplex pump. I need to change the oil in the pump and Simpson recommends their pump crankcase oil which is ridiculously expensive. The manual states that if the Simpson oil is not available, use SAE 15W40. Should I be using NON-detergent oil in this pump crankcase...or should I just get some Rotella or Supertech 15W40 for this application. Thanks!!

I use non-detergent SAE30 grade oil in mine. I would recommend a non-detergent oil for that application. Detergent oil cleans contaminants which get deposited into a filter. Since there is no filter you really don't want to clean contaminants from the pump internals, they'll be circulating in unfiltered oil and increase wear. If you go the detergent oil route change the oil more often. No combustion no need for detergent oil.

I've also always used ND30 in the pumps on pressure washers, both AAA and Cat pumps.
We're in agreement then. I've been using it for a few decades now w/o issue. I don't power wash in the winter so now worries about the oil's cold weather properties/performance. ;) I grab Super Tech 30 grade non-detergent oil from WMT and call it a day.

Forgot to mention I do add a little Lucas stabilizer. Makes checking the little dipstick much easier. This thing has probably 1000 hours probably a lot more. I had a power washing/ detailing business for 15 years. Switched the B&S IC motor to a Honda GX390 about 4 years ago.

Back