Simple Prime Rib

@GON What was the temp of the roast measured with your meat thermometer when you pulled it out of the oven?
EH,

My Wife pulled it out as I was delayed on a Wal-Mart run. She said 155, which I know was very wrong. So I can't give a good answer. but my plan was to pull the roast from the oven at 120 degrees.

I do the 550F for 5 minutes x Lbs, then turn off oven and walk away for 2 hours.
Comes out perfect every time.
Example: 8lb Prime Rib goes for 40 minutes at 550F, Then turn off oven and don't open it for 2 hours.

I use this method as well, except 500F (not 550F). I have done this 2 X's in the last month for two different occasions. Comes out looking like the pictures above.

just my $0.02

I use this method as well, except 500F (not 550F). I have done this 2 X's in the last month for two different occasions. Comes out looking like the pictures above.

just my $0.02
I actually just used the 500F today because it was in a stainless pan and it still came out great!
This is the easiest recipe ever.

My fishing club had a Christmas dinner at a restaurant and this was mine. I don’t think I could cook one this good!

Attachments

• 990DFDD8-BCF5-4F64-A507-CF567F2E758D.jpeg
    990DFDD8-BCF5-4F64-A507-CF567F2E758D.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 11
I kind of like burnt ends.....
You and me both. We have a BBQ place in town that has burnt ends on the menu, a little spendy but man are they good.

I do the same with prime rib but a little longer to get the outside crispy. 500 for about 20/25 minutes then 325 and pull it out around 130ish and then tent it until I can't take it no more.

How would this be done? It's obviously much more marbled that traditional prime rib, which is lean. Some even say it's unlike cooking any other kind of beef.

Prime_Rib_A5_large.jpg

When I got older raw meat grosses me out. Especially preparing chicken etc....I get yucked out quickly...
I worked with my dad all through high school in the meat department and I have to say there were certain things that gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Have you ever seen a 5 gal pale of raw rocky mountain oysters? I couldn't stomach beef tongue or brains.

Another thing that grossed people out was tiger meat, he made it for the local bars on Saturday morning, I don't remember everything he added but he used raw lean beef (no fat what so ever), onions, celery, pepper, garlic/salt, run it though the grinder three times. Served cold with crackers. It got a bad rap because people were trying to make it at home using ground beef with fat.

I worked with my dad all through high school in the meat department and I have to say there were certain things that gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Have you ever seen a 5 gal pale of raw rocky mountain oysters? I couldn't stomach beef tongue or brains.

Another thing that grossed people out was tiger meat, he made it for the local bars on Saturday morning, I don't remember everything he added but he used raw lean beef (no fat what so ever), onions, celery, pepper, garlic/salt, run it though the grinder three times. Served cold with crackers. It got a bad rap because people were trying to make it at home using ground beef with fat.

There might be some things I won't eat, but properly prepared offal doesn't gross me out. Headcheese works for me. Haven't had Rocky Mountain oysters, but a buddy of mine showed me a photo of him with a tray when he was at a Rockies game in Denver. I'd heard of them but I somehow thought that they were supposed to be whole and not sliced up like that. Once I was ordering a lengua burrito, and while the cook pulled out the tongue from the pot and cut off a good third pound or so of it, a woman behind me looked at it rather squeamishly.

Now this is kind of interesting with someone trying to figure out what to do with a cow udder.

I've tried cooking skin-on pork belly, and the last time there were still some hairs attached. I'm not sure exactly how they were removed at the slaughterhouse, but I needed needle nose pliers to yank them out.

Back