silverado power steering out

Status
Not open for further replies.
lost power steering today in my 2000 z71. pump has fluid in it.checked for broken hoses,don't see anything leaking and serp. belt is ok? can pump just go out like that?

Ive never had one go that way. Always simply faded when the fluid and tires got hot in combination. Could raise the engine rpm and would get the power steering back. Sometimes changing the fluid helped and sometimes it didnt.

If it has a rack and pinion like my 05 it can fail in an instant.

Because it's not the pump.

If it's the old recirculating ball kind that is not a typical progression.

it steers just like the engine is not running. i held rpms at 3500 and made no difference

I've seen the p/s pulley shaft break internally and it will look fine but, its in reality not doing anything. Pull the belt and then pull on the pulley, if it comes out, put a pump, if it doesn't budge, put a steering rack on it.

Its probably the rack, they suck on this vintage Chevy. I replaced my rack at 70k miles, it was done. Now at almost 90k its leaking again, great.

If its any consolation, GM improved them on the 2011's.

My girlfriend's PT Cruiser had the same problem. Steering working fine one second, then no power assist the next. The dealer replaced the rack and that didn't fix it. Then they replaced the pump and that fixed it.

If its not a broken shaft it could be (probably) the pressure control solonoid (2).
z71.png

Edit: Apparently you can do a easy EVO delete on this unit by using GM part# 26009894 fitting and Gates 353950 PS pressure line.
In any case do not toss the pump for a rebuilt unit, fix the original.

Last edited:
Rack on my 06 has been replaced twice. Both times with AC Delco racks. I didn't have any failure, but they were leaking or making alot of noise.

I don't know what it is about the Chevy 1500 P/S rack, but it is the one I replace most often.

It is as bad as many 1980s P/S racks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back