Silverado Hybrid only bumps MPG by 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

Ill bet the refurbishment costs of the smaller batteries, etc in this are much more friendly than what they will be (not to mention environmental impacts and costs of battery recycling) in a prius/insight type case.
JMH

My thoughts exactly. In my experience, with GM trucks in particular, GM plays a conservative hand when it comes to things that affect longevity and maintenance costs.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
GM approached Toyota a few months back about partnering up on hybrids. Toyota said something like "What are you bringing to the table?". THat was about the end of the discusion as I heard it! GM has already beniftted from partnership with Toyota out at Nummi plant. They also have contracted with Toyota's ex quality control guy! fuel cells are a fantasy! Too much energy wasted in the conversion process! We need room tempature super conductors first.

Got a source for that info? GM made a deal more then a few months back with Daimler-Chrysler. GM has alot to bring to the table, and IMO the most realistic hybrid strategy.

-T

GM approached Toyota a few months back about partnering up on hybrids. Toyota said something like "What are you bringing to the table?". THat was about the end of the discusion as I heard it! GM has already beniftted from partnership with Toyota out at Nummi plant. They also have contracted with Toyota's ex quality control guy! fuel cells are a fantasy! Too much energy wasted in the conversion process! We need room tempature super conductors first.

"4x4 model MPG: 17 city/19 hwy"

One wonders about the hype over hybrids. I guess the numbers above are for the 1/2 ton hybrid. For comparison I currently 17mpg to 18 mpg in the city and 19mpg to 20mpg on the highway in my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. A couple of friends get similar mileage on the highway with similar trucks, which are 4x4 quad cab Dodge diesels. I've talked to and have heard of several people getting mid 20's, doing 60mph for extended stretches in flat areas.

Although I am not quite a GM fan, they do deserve some credit in going toward the right direction.

Seriously, reducing the idle on a truck designed for construction site with a portable generator is going to be very fuel efficient in real world, at least not needing to haul a generator around is good enough of a benefit. That thing won't cost GM too much to build, but get them lots of sales.

The next step is to do VCM while crusing and shut off 4 of the 8 cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back