Silverado brake time - AC delco vs AAP products

Status
Not open for further replies.
After it was pointed that the Durastops were not OE, I priced out the actual OE at $205. Priced out the very popular combo of Akebono pads and Centric rotors for 175 so that's what I decided to give a try. Already ordered so no changing now. If I can get another 6yrs, 70K miles for 175 and some labor on a nice day, I won't have any complaints.

Out of the 3 trucks in the family/business, mine is the one usually doing any towing. I usually get to tow the work trailer when we need it and I also am the only one with anything sizable of their own that gets towed (travel trailer). Would have loved to taken advantage of AAP discount codes but just worried about brakes holding up and lasting with the towing use I do occasionally.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice you'd bought parts. Centric makes a great rotor in my opinion.

FWIW, my original post below:

The thing is, brake pads and rotor materials do matter, and changing one or both from what you have, or choosing one aftermarket example vs another, *will* alter brake performance.

If you are happy with the Factory braking, stick with those exact pads. Rotors are hard to quantify because the exact composition matters, so do some searching in forums specific to your vehicle.

You can get better stopping distances, or longer brake pad and/or rotor part life, but rarely (possibly never) both.

If you want to alter brake performance, you have a lot more research to do, and do it before shopping by price.

Maybe check if the OEM offered heavier duty callipers in the same year ¾ or 1-ton front axle application, and if so, do they fit the ½ ton variant. Larger swept area = better brakes with the possibility of no significant change in pad / rotor life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back