Silicone sealant: acetic vs oxime cure?

Still trying to gather everything to fix the leaking oil separator on my VW. I'm probably overthinking things again as usual, but here goes anyway.

Ordered up some Elring Dirko HT grey as the silicone sealant to use between the plastic separator and aluminium block.
On collection I was told the grey was not available and has been substituted with the Dirko HT red.

Not exactly a straight swap that. Grey/Black/Beige is oxime, Red is acetic cure. Not sure at all which is best for use in this scenario.

Looking it up on Elring and I can see they list the oxime silicone for this VW.
Now, whatever VW put on there clearly didn't last more than 50K km. Not sure I should do more of the same.

Not sure I should be using anything with acetic acid against aluminium either.

Is it best I rather order a oxime silicone or just gun it with this acetic cure one?
Would the acetic or oxime type provide a more durable seal between the plastic and aluminium substrates?

PS: The most annoying thing about this is that I did this research just a few weeks back and settled on oxime hence ordering the grey, but clearly old age is creeping in here and for the life of me I just can't recall how I ended up there. It's so bad browser history has forgotten it.

The acetic cure stuff is bad for O2 sensors and is mildly corrosive - avoid it for engine sealing. There’s reason why acetoxy/methoxy/alkoxy-cure RTVs are used for building applications, and oxime/acetone-cure RTVs are used for engine sealing.

I just went to the local auto parts store yesterday and picked up some Victor Reinz Reinzosil. The shop that carries the Dirko seem only carry the red now and offering the Reinzosil instead.

What about using something different like Hylomar?

2017 VW Cross Polo 1.2tsi.
Started leaking with just around 30,000miles on it.
We dont have the 1.2 in the US but we do get the 1.4 in the same engine family. Per Etka, the oil separator on the 1.4 seals to the engine block with D-176-501-a1 sealant, which is loctite 5970 anaerobic flange sealant

Well that jogged my memory now. That's what I searched for weeks back and came up with 5970 as well. I ditched it though as I could only find 300ml tubes at $50+ over here.

5970 is alkoxy cure.
I'm getting mixed signals here.

I have Reinzosil now and I'll just have to see how it holds up.

I'll take a rubber or paper gasket any day. :D

Well that jogged my memory now. That's what I searched for weeks back and came up with 5970 as well. I ditched it though as I could only find 300ml tubes at $50+ over here.

5970 is alkoxy cure.
I'm getting mixed signals here.

I have Reinzosil now and I'll just have to see how it holds up.

I'll take a rubber or paper gasket any day. :D
5970 is a completely different beast than any silicone, its an anaerobic flange sealant used to seal very small gaps. Reinzosil is silicone and the two arent interchangeable generally. I dont know if permatex products are available in south africa but Permatex 51813 would work and every parts house over here stocks it

But I see Reinzosil is also mentioned as an anaerobic sealant.

And, no, that Permatex isn't readily available in store, but I just found a online supplier up country that carries it.
I've seen Parmatex at the auto parts stores, but they're the regular grey and black RTV.
I will order end of month, I'm kinda becoming broke buying all this stuff.

And any feedback on Hylomar?

But I see Reinzosil is also mentioned as an anaerobic sealant.

And, no, that Permatex isn't readily available in store, but I just found a online supplier up country that carries it.
I've seen Parmatex at the auto parts stores, but they're the regular grey and black RTV.
I will order end of month, I'm kinda becoming broke buying all this stuff.

And any feedback on Hylomar?
reinzoplast is Victor Reinz anaerobic gasket sealant. Reinzosil is silicone

Back