Signing over a vehicle title

You're way more trusting than most people. What if he got a dozen camera tickets? What if got in an accident? Yea your insurance may cover it but your rates are jacked or policy cancelled.
It's not my car anymore once that title is signed regardless of the plates so on their insurance, not mine. I would just have to show EZPass that the car wasn't mine at the time. I guess I've never felt like I'm getting screwed in my many private sales.

It might not be yours but if you leave the plates on for them to drive, you're still liable. Why can't they put their own plates on it?
That is not correct...no liability once that sale is complete...it's not my car.

How will you have plates if you don't have the title to reg it?

I bought a car years ago and I had to buy the car then wait a day to go to DMV then go back ro get the car...what a huge pain.

That is not correct...no liability once that sale is complete...it's not my car.
By that argument, since it's not your car then the plates are now void.

I bought a car years ago and I had to buy the car then wait a day to go to DMV then go back ro get the car...what a huge pain.
Well yes, it's a pain, but that is the legal and legitimate way to do it.

How will you have plates if you don't have the title to reg it?
I would assume he has another car he could take the plates off of to drive this one home. Yes not legal, but not your problem. If you let him drive on your plates it could be a big problem for you. Why not drive the car to his house, take off the plates and have him drive you back home?

By that argument, since it's not your car then the plates are now void.

Well yes, it's a pain, but that is the legal and legitimate way to do it.

I would assume he has another car he could take the plates off of to drive this one home. Yes not legal, but not your problem. If you let him drive on your plates it could be a big problem for you. Why not drive the car to his house, take off the plates and have him drive you back home?
Not my car. The plates get you to the DMV without getting pulled over is really all because as you say....void. I don't see how anything past that sale is a "big problem" for me.

How do you do it, just sign and hand it to them?
Last one I sold was to a coworker. She had a boyfriend at the time. I looked him up on Iowa Courts Online.
Had a couple tickets for no registration or proof of insurance.

Due to that alone, I made the trip to the courthouse and made it all official there together.
He thought I was being a jerk and said everyone else just signs over the title.

I just knew I wanted MY name off that vehicle, before they start driving it.
No way I wanted drug into that, in case they had an accident.
Don't trust ANYONE. Go and get your signature witnessed and the title notorized at your bank with a copy for your records. You are off the hook. You can then deposit the funds at the same time.

Unfornately, many people never change the title over to their name to avoid paying sales tax.

Don't trust ANYONE. Go and get your signature witnessed and the title notorized at your bank with a copy for your records. You are off the hook. You can then deposit the funds at the same time.

Unfornately, many people never change the title over to their name to avoid paying sales tax.
You are off the hook once the title has been signed and sale is complete (BoS). Whether they reg their new car or not is not your problem at that point. I've done this now 7x here in VA and never made this as complicated as folks here seem to make it out to be/needed.

You are off the hook once the title has been signed and sale is complete (BoS). Whether they reg their new car or not is not your problem at that point. I've done this now 7x here in VA and never made this as complicated as folks here seem to make it out to be/needed.
Not till it is notorized. Anyone can forge your signature.

Well, not until it goes through the DMV process and gets turned into a new title/ registration. Anyone can sit on paperwork for years and this often leads to "barn find" cars where the title's screwed up, someone's dead, and a private party signed the dealer section, screwing it up for everybody.

Many states have a "notice of sale" the former owner can put through if they're paranoid. Massachusetts made me mail my plates to my insurance company to finish off my responsibilities with my car.

Michigan requires no notarization, both parties are not required at the DMV, and there is a 3 day grace period you can drive without plates (with title/receipt on board). LIke eljefino states, it's the buyers responsibility to follow up at DMV.

Once again, the most prudent advice is to investigate and follow the regulations in YOUR state.

You don't notarize it here in VA, you litterally sign it over on the hood in the parking lot....it's theirs. I always get a BoS with all pertinent info. If you take off the plates like some here suggest, even less of an issue. I've always let the buyer use them to drive it home/to DMV/then return them but that's up to the seller and even though I don't do that, I get it. It's on the buyer to reg their new car etc., they can use it in a bank robbery on the way from my house for all I care...as long as I got paid and it's signed over/everything is in order, rob away!

Last edited:
Back