Sighting a handgun

I use standard paper targets at 75 feet. Shoot from a normal standing position, and also bench rested with arms/wrists on sandbags. Have binocs if necessary to see your hits accurately. Then use a high quality sight pusher to dial in POI to match POA.
Also make sure you're using the same ammo that you will use "for real". Whether that is JHPs for a carry gun, FMJs for a target, etc.

What is considered a standard paper target? When I google paper targets I find them in all shapes and sizes. Which ones are correct for handguns

I use targets like this. Does not really matter as long as you have a point of aim.

I start out at 10 feet and see what is a consistent pattern. Adjust then back up. I generally sight my pistol in around 20-30 feet.
1706149386872.jpeg

IMG_20231108_163850204.jpg
IMG_20231108_163001903.jpg

What is considered a standard paper target? When I google paper targets I find them in all shapes and sizes. Which ones are correct for handguns
For sighting in a firearm I prefer a standard target of concentric circles because they are equidistant all around making it easy to estimate inches in any direction by just looking at it.

For example in the target shown above, a hit in the top or bottom 9 is about the same distance from the center as a hit in the L or R side 8. The rings are not equidistant from the center, making it harder to gauge from a distance through binocs how far the hits are from the center.

I think I finally found my answer. B8 targets
Yep, those are perfect for sighting in. You can also apply a "Shoot-N-C" sticker to the target center to make the hits easier to see.

You start out shooting an unknown to you pistol at 75 feet? Amazing.
considering it could be a carry pistol with a short barrel that is even more amazing ;)

I would start about 25ft if I had a big target or 15ft with a 6 or 8" target.

Now my sig p322 or a ruger mark ii I can easily bench shoot at 75ft and hit something.

but my ruger security 9(4" barrel) hitting a 4" gong at 25ft is not a sure thing. I did just upgrade my targets
and plan to work on that sometime this year.

If you can adjust for windage and elevation you can use a couple strips of masking tape, one placed horizontally and the other vertically.
Shooting at horizontal strip you adjust elevation, shooting at vertical you adjust windage. No need for targets and you get better sight adjustment.

I like the old standby Redfield Targets. The ones with orange diamond in the middle and smaller diamonds in each corner. The distance is variable depending on the distance I feel I will be able to shoot a small group. With a full sized 1911 or CZ75 that may be 15 yds, with a short barrel like a S&W Shield or P365 it may be 7 yds. I like the orange on white because I can see all hits without optics at these distances and make corrections. Once you get centered on the large diamond you can fine tune with the smaller corner targets. Then move to the distance you would like your final zero to be set.

Buy some 50' pistol targets and start at 10'. Look up pistol shooting on the web and watch some videos. Buy plenty of ammunition to practice with.

You start out shooting an unknown to you pistol at 75 feet? Amazing.
If the pistol is "new", as in factory new, it probably shoots straight, so sure. But if the pistol is "unknown to me" then I would start at a shorter distance. Either way there's no harm in starting at a shorter distance, but I would work my way toward 75 feet because the longer distance amplifies errors making them easier to correct. Eventually, if you can't get a decent group at 75 feet then there's something wrong with the pistol or the shooter, which is also important to know when sighting in.

For the sighting part - I start at 5 yards.

I have bought some used guns with atrocious sights. Some new guns were off as well. Starting at 5 yards allows me to get the rounds on paper and go from there.

I’ve squared away all of them, can’t stand a tool that doesn’t work right, but I start at 5.

Zero is another discussion, which depends heavily on the intended use.

And then we have function check to discuss. Not every new gun I’ve bought worked properly - some, particularly 1911s, have required tweaking.

One handgun is brand new. Beretta 92FS. The other one is older but I am the original owner S&W 5904

If the pistol is "new", as in factory new, it probably shoots straight, so sure. But if the pistol is "unknown to me" then I would start at a shorter distance. Either way there's no harm in starting at a shorter distance, but I would work my way toward 75 feet because the longer distance amplifies errors making them easier to correct. Eventually, if you can't get a decent group at 75 feet then there's something wrong with the pistol or the shooter, which is also important to know when sighting in.
Most people can't put 5 shots on a paper plate at 75 feet much less shoot groups. Skillz. (y)

Sighting in a new 9mm handgun. What distance and type of paper targets should I use?
I did not know that this was a forum on BITOG. Glad to know. I am new to this forum and so far many seem to be reasonable with their viewpoints, which is rare.

I would "sight in'' at 25 feet. Between 25 and point blank will be the same. Beyond that, 25 yards would be the farthest I would shoot for groups.

I do, however, for fun, plink a 100 yards.

Most of my practise is done closer than 25ft

What kind of gun is it?

It also depends on what kinda shooting is expected, competitive USPSA, IDPA etc is one thing, defensive or so is another thing.
There are basically three areas on human body to engage - pelvis, which will cause enormous pain and immobility but isn't lethal, also most vests don't cover it; chest, easier to hit due to size but vests will most likely stop the hit/s; triangle between eyes and nose, which is more precise kill hits.
For pelvis and chest practice shots a large or mid sized paper plate work, otherwise a 4x6" card in landscape.

I did not know that this was a forum on BITOG. Glad to know. I am new to this forum and so far many seem to be reasonable with their viewpoints, which is rare.

I would "sight in'' at 25 feet. Between 25 and point blank will be the same. Beyond that, 25 yards would be the farthest I would shoot for groups.

I do, however, for fun, plink a 100 yards.

Most of my practise is done closer than 25ft

What kind of gun is it?
Brand new Beretta 92FS, and my older Smith & Wesson 5904

Back