Sight seepage from drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
. All my vehicles during the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s never required a gasket or washer.
Has modern technology surrounding the oil pan bolts gone suddenly backwards? ... Why didn't I need a washer for 50 years and now I do?
Because they hadn't yet thought of that trivial gimmick to increase parts-department sales? Or because careless people mangle plugs and washers, causing leaks? My OE plug washer, which Toyota claims must be replaced every time, actually works fine for multiple uses (up to 7 oil changes, so far) with no leaks. I don't abuse it.

Exactly. I have changed oil countless times in several dozen vehicles and never observed seepage from a drain plug. I just reused whatever drain plug and its washer that came from the factory. Never a second thought.

That comment about increasing parts dept. sales is right on! Out of curiosity, I checked cost of drain plug washer at my local dealer about 2 years ago and they wanted $5.00 for one! Absolutely insane.

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
. All my vehicles during the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s never required a gasket or washer.
Has modern technology surrounding the oil pan bolts gone suddenly backwards? ... Why didn't I need a washer for 50 years and now I do?
Because they hadn't yet thought of that trivial gimmick to increase parts-department sales? Or because careless people mangle plugs and washers, causing leaks? My OE plug washer, which Toyota claims must be replaced every time, actually works fine for multiple uses (up to 7 oil changes, so far) with no leaks. I don't abuse it.

Exactly. I have changed oil countless times in several dozen vehicles and never observed seepage from a drain plug. I just reused whatever drain plug and its washer that came from the factory. Never a second thought.

That comment about increasing parts dept. sales is right on! Out of curiosity, I checked cost of drain plug washer at my local dealer about 2 years ago and they wanted $5.00 for one! Absolutely insane.

partsgeekdotcom is where I bought my magnetic drain plug bolts with washers. Washers purchased separately would have been less than a buck apiece.

Oil pans are thinner these days compared to the tanks of the 60's. Aluminum instead of steel. It makes it easier for anyone with a gorilla attitude to mangle up, either the plug or the threads.

Some oil pans are plastic I hear. Ford has them with that thermos type drain plug.

Changes bring new paradigms. Why all the angst over a washer?

In the OP's case something is probably damaged in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back